Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting and quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-quilting-question-t247767.html)

Barbpr 06-02-2014 05:49 AM

Batting and quilting question

Good morning!

I am making a quilt for someone (a relative) that I know will not appreciate any of the work. It is the largest I have ever quilted at 96 by 96 (12 rows of 8 inch blocks square). I am stitching in the ditch between all the blocks now.

My batting info says you can quilt up to 8 inches apart. So I was thinking...do between the blocks and be done with it.

Has anyone quilted that far apart and are there any ramifications?

Thanks for your expertise..

QuiltnNan 06-02-2014 05:56 AM

it depends on the look you like. as long as you meet the batting manufacturer's specifications, you should be fine. i did one that far apart and, when moving the quilt around, the fabric 'flopped around' from the non-quilted sections. since then, i quilt a little closer together. again, personal preference.

lfletcher 06-02-2014 05:56 AM

You should be ok since the batting says you can quilt 8 inches apart and the blocks are 8 inches. Just curious as to why you're making a quilt for someone you know won't appreciate all the work?

tessagin 06-02-2014 06:09 AM

You could tie/embellish in the center of the squares that would make it closer at 4 inches and wouldn't take that long. Could do an "x".

tessagin 06-02-2014 06:11 AM

My sentiments exactly for making a quilt for someone who won't appreciate it. I have found in the past those are the very people who will also pick it apart.

Originally Posted by lfletcher (Post 6741222)
You should be ok since the batting says you can quilt 8 inches apart and the blocks are 8 inches. Just curious as to why you're making a quilt for someone you know won't appreciate all the work?

citruscountyquilter 06-02-2014 07:51 AM

I have quilted that far apart and it's been OK. Generally I like more quilting but have made a few where I did either stitch in the ditch or straight row quilting, mostly when I first started quilting. They are all around, been washed and holding up well. My sister-in-law made a quilt for her husband and quilted it very sparingly. My brother-in-law washed the quilt years later and the batting shifted so that the quilt was useless. Since my sister-in-law was no longer around he gave the quilt to me to fix. I ripped the quilting out and put a new back on it as she had used some fuzzy material that was matted along with with a new batting. I tied that quilt because the patchwork was done in such a way that nothing matched much. I did tie it every few inches. What a job! The bottom line is it's OK to quilt as little as the batting instructions say but don't skimp beyond that.

athomenow 06-02-2014 09:18 AM

I'd do diagonal lines through the squares across the whole quilt. That way you'll be sure it won't move around and it doesn't take long at all.

GrammaNan 06-02-2014 10:43 AM

Bless you for putting all the time, money and energy in to something that you know won't be appreciated. You are a much better person than I am. If you follow the manufacturer's instructions you will be fine. This will get the quilt done quicker and you can start a new project for someone who will appreciate it. Maybe you should make something for yourself.

Preeti 06-02-2014 10:45 AM

I am sorry that your work (and labor of love) will go unappreciated. Why not give them something else? And to answer your question, I have quilted 10" apart using Warm & Natural Batting.

Cybrarian 06-02-2014 10:45 AM

I agree with athomenow/Debra I would be concerned that a person who doesn't appreciate the work involved also wouldn't be too careful washing it so you would want to be sure there wouldn't be problems with it.