Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for rugs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-rugs-t299186.html)

Tiggersmom 08-28-2018 08:46 PM

Batting for rugs?

I've decided to make my own rugs with the 2.5 strips.

I know of the Bonsal precut batting rolls, but I'm trying to use what I have.

I have a roll of the warm and white, polyester. Do you think that will be okay or should I stick with a 80/20 batting?

If I was going to make placemats, etc I would use the cotton or cotton blend. Do the floor rugs make a difference?

TIA, Jennifer

RJLinkletter 08-28-2018 09:59 PM

Are you doing ‘the’ jelly roll rug? I made a floor rug doing a jelly roll race style with various fabrics and then did a bit of appliqué over the top. I used unwanted fleece for the batting and it’s great!

givio 08-28-2018 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw an example of the recent popular fad cotton rug sewn with quilting cotton fabric and batting at my LQS. It was thin and lightweight. It seemed like a little strip quilt with a lot of top-stitching. I would be concerned with the type of thread more than the filler. It would need a good strong thread, in order to be durable and stand up to wear and use. But, I don't know if what I saw is what you intend to make. The one I saw seemed like the type of thing to use in the bathroom to step on when you come out of the shower, like a towel, something flexible, that is easily laundered.

About 15 years or so ago, there was a fad to wrap cotton clothesline rope with strips of fabric, and use that to create totes, baskets, rugs, etc. It might be more economical to use rope than batting, if you are interested to be conservative price wise (although I think that method would use more fabric). Rope would make a thicker, more substantial rug.

Along that idea-- using something other than batting-- you could use strips torn from an old sheet. I don't see why that wouldn't work okay to cover with fabric and sew together. I've used sheet strips for the inner layer in my rugs and it works great.

Just some ideas! Post some pictures of your rug when you have it complete! :-)

Murphy224 08-29-2018 01:55 AM

If you plan to make the Jelly Roll Rug that is so popular right now, I would suggest thin batting. You have to place the batting on the 2.5 strip fold sides to the middle, and fold again, and stitch. Thick batting would make this step a nightmare.

ckcowl 08-29-2018 03:47 AM

I use whatever scrap batting I have and cut it into strips. Works fine, the batting I have that is a bit thicker I cut a bit narrower, still works and holds up fine

Onebyone 08-29-2018 07:04 AM

I do know poly batting will curl in the rugs. Cotton batting will stay flat. I use the rolls of Katahdin . Easier and saves so much time. I don't keep batting scraps and the idea of cutting 50 ft. of strips and then joining them is a time waster to me.

Tiggersmom 08-29-2018 03:37 PM

Thanks ladies for all your input!!!
I can't do it right now as I have a bunch of blocks to finish.
I will probably use a 40 wt thread. Cotton to match the fabric content.