Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting Seam Tape ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-seam-tape-t269058.html)

copycat 08-22-2015 03:47 AM

Batting Seam Tape ?

Has anyone tried using Batting Seam Tape? Did you like it?
I found Batting Seam Tape recently at a local fabric store. It is a fusible Seam Tape for Joining Scrap Pieces of Batting, thus no sewing involved. The package includes a roll of tape that is 1.5" wide by 10 yards. It advises you to line up batting edges closely, apply batting seam tape over the seam, press with iron and steam 10 seconds. Done! I practiced on small batting sizes about 12 long. Please give me your advice on using this tape to piece batting for a twin size quilt.
Thank you!

PaperPrincess 08-22-2015 03:56 AM

the tape works well. You can also cut strips of fusible tricot interfacing that you buy by the yard for a less expensive solution. Make sure that the edges of the batting are butted together without gaps. Others whip stitch or zigzag the batting pieces together, but I prefer using the tape.

kathy 08-22-2015 04:01 AM

works best with cotton because of the ironing but can use it on poly, just use a small craft iron and try not to press down, a light spritz of water will make the steam. I really like it

KR 08-22-2015 04:06 AM

I use it frequently....much quicker than hand basting pieces together. JoAnn's carries two widths, although I haven't found a need for the wider one.

cjsews 08-22-2015 05:09 AM

I like it to use up those left over pieces of batting. I do position it and put a scrap of fabric over it to press. That way I don't worry about my iron being too hot.

nanna-up-north 08-22-2015 06:11 AM

I've used it and found it to work quite well. I haven't had to put huge pieces together but when I needed about 12 more inches at the top of a baby quilt batt it sure helped out. I didn't have to go buy more batting and saved me a few bucks.

ManiacQuilter2 08-22-2015 06:17 AM

It is a LOT cheaper to by the Pellon featherweight fusible and cut them yourself. I have been doing this with my cotton batting for over 20 years.

dunster 08-22-2015 06:51 AM

I've cut my own tape from fusible, and it does work just fine, and I've hand sewn pieces together. But now I find it easier to zigzag pieces together. Once it's inside a quilt you never know it's been pieced together.

Onebyone 08-22-2015 06:53 AM

I use it a lot. It's handy to have for bias edges too.

copycat 08-22-2015 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7293558)
the tape works well. You can also cut strips of fusible tricot interfacing that you buy by the yard for a less expensive solution. Make sure that the edges of the batting are butted together without gaps. Others whip stitch or zigzag the batting pieces together, but I prefer using the tape.

Thanks for tip on a less expensive option. I do butt the batting edges together but some places separate a teeny sliver as I press the iron to fuse the tape. Does this happen to you?