Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-size-t255481.html)

marcycn 10-18-2014 01:51 PM

Batting size

Can't find an answer for this. Does the batting always have to be the exact size of the finished quilt or can it be as big as the main part of the quilt but not in the final border?

I have a quilt that has sashing and I put a final 3" border on it but the batting isn't that wide. Can I get away with it the size it is or do I have to add a piece to it?

Dina 10-18-2014 02:10 PM

Personally, I would add a piece of bating to it. However, I made a quilt that was already binded larger by adding another border. The last border has no batting in it, and the results were satisfactory. It was a quilt that had shrunk, and I would do it again if I had to. It looks okay. But, I would be happier with a new quilt that had batting in all of it.

Not much help, huh?

Dina

katier825 10-18-2014 02:15 PM

I'd add to the batting. I know I wouldn't be happy with the end result if I didn't, especially after taking time to put the top together.

QuiltnNan 10-18-2014 02:49 PM

i'm with the 'add more batting' camp

ckcowl 10-18-2014 02:54 PM

Your batting should be larger than your quilt top before quilting, the quilting process draws it up some and also if things are not exactly square it makes up for it, makes sure the whole quilt has adequate batting. After the quilting is finished the larger batting/backing is trimmed (the quilt is squared up for binding)

nvb50 10-18-2014 04:22 PM

I would add some strips to all 4 sides. I don't think you will be satisfied with it without batting.

marcycn 10-18-2014 05:13 PM

I kinda figured what my answer would be. I know how the process is suppose to go.... was just wondering if anyone had done it differently. Already changed to another piece of batting. :-)

Terri D. 10-18-2014 06:37 PM

I'd save the batting piece you have and get one that will spread over the entire surface of the quilt, including the borders. I have a feeling you would regret the final product if you used the smaller batting size.

Dina 10-18-2014 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by marcycn (Post 6934225)
I kinda figured what my answer would be. I know how the process is suppose to go.... was just wondering if anyone had done it differently. Already changed to another piece of batting. :-)

Yeah, I figured you knew what you had to do....glad you are already onto the next piece of batting. :) Hope a picture of the finished quilt will follow.

Dina

GrannieAnnie 10-18-2014 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by marcycn (Post 6934008)
Can't find an answer for this. Does the batting always have to be the exact size of the finished quilt or can it be as big as the main part of the quilt but not in the final border?

I have a quilt that has sashing and I put a final 3" border on it but the batting isn't that wide. Can I get away with it the size it is or do I have to add a piece to it?

I'd patch the sides that weren't wide/long enough. Easy to do.