Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-t35118.html)

quilterj 01-25-2010 07:10 PM

I was wondering if when you buy batting do you get enough for stash? I have seen alot of your sewing rooms with the stash and haven't really seen any batting. What do you do?

janRN 01-25-2010 07:13 PM

I try to buy batting on sale so usually have extra around. If you saw a picture of my sewing room (which you won't!!!LOL) I keep the batting rolls on the highest shelf of my shelving unit so it's out of the way until I need it. I like to keep extra so I don't have to run out and buy it for each project.

Ms Grace 01-25-2010 07:20 PM

This past September, I bought (2) 50 yard rolls of Warm & Natural. :shock:
Yes, it's ALOT of batting! :lol:
I bought it at Joann's with the 50% off coupon.
I've made about 4 lap size quilts with it , and so far have not even made a noticable dent on the rolls. :roll:

Jannie 01-25-2010 07:29 PM

I know a lot of you use Warm & Natural which I like also. There are times when I want a polyester batting. What is the difference between bonded, unbonded, traditional? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Prism99 01-25-2010 07:52 PM

You probably never want to use an unbonded polyester batting. Bonded means the surface has been treated with chemicals (resins, I think) to prevent the polyester batting from bearding.

I would consider traditional batting to be 100% cotton -- like Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon. This is from before the days of polyester, bonding, and needlepunching (Warm & Natural is needlepunched through a scrim). MM Blue Ribbon is actually my favorite batting for machine quilting; it seems to get softer with every washing and lasts forever. For hand quilting, though, I would use Quilter's Dream which is needlepunched (but not through scrim). Needlepunching of cotton makes it very uniform and stable and easier to hand needle than traditional cotton. MM Blue Ribbon is harder to hand needle because of uneveness and there also seems to be additional drag on the needle -- perhaps from oils left in the cotton.

There might be a traditional polyester batting but since I tend not to use polyester anymore, not sure what that might mean.

Jingle 01-26-2010 06:58 AM

I only use polyester in a plastic bag and I keep 6-8 on hand, so I have it when I need it. I used warm and natural a few times, it is pricey and it shrank when I made a bird cage cover with it. I don't remember if it shrank when I put it in a quilt or not, decided I wouldn't chance it again.

dkabasketlady 01-26-2010 07:34 AM

Yes, I keep a stash of batting. I keep it under the other spare bed(it sets up higher) and some I have put in space bags, but not for any length of time. I constantly move my inventory around.

ladygen 01-26-2010 07:37 AM

I don't keep batting on hand,but I don't have the space to have a lot of it, either.

There are, however, lots of batting scraps around here, so I can make lots of little things without buying more.

Boston1954 01-26-2010 08:10 AM

About two years ago, my sis (Oklahoma Suzie) and I went in together on a full bolt of Warm and Natural because it was on sale. 40 Yards. We split it down the middle. Mine is getting close to being gone, but Sue still has not used a lot of hers. Well, I just happened to be on the JoAnn site a few days ago and it is on sale again. Comes out to about $5.24 a yard!! We went ahead and ordered. Could not pass it up. Now I am set for another couple of years. ahhhhhhhhh!!

mpspeedy 01-26-2010 08:44 AM

I have a stash of all types and sizes of batting. I have at least two huge plastic tubs packed full. I was also given a whole roll of 60" wide poly batting by our local Linus group. I have cut it all into the size I need for their quilts and have used at least 2/3 of it. I have a friend who was a professional quilter with a wholesale permit who got me at least 4 Dream Cotton batts in various sizes. I like to use them for my own personal bed quilts. I volunteer at the local senior center helping them make quilts to raffle off to benefit the center. When people donate quilt or sewing related stuff to the center we go through it and keep what we can use for thier projects. They gave me two huge black garbage bags full of poly batting for me to use for Linus. I also have a tendency to pick up a batt or two when they are on sale or I have a coupons for at least 50%
off.