Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-t36517.html)

nodak lady 02-10-2010 05:37 AM

Recently the topic of batting was discussed and some of the quilting group mentioned washing batting before assembling a quilt. I had not heard of that before. Is this something new?

beachlady 02-10-2010 05:48 AM

I never had washed mine, but I believe they mentioned that it shrinks - never thought of that.

watterstide 02-10-2010 06:04 AM

not washing batting here.i almost always use warm and natural..i have not had a problem with it..or at least i am happy with the results after the quilt is washed and dryed..

Boston1954 02-10-2010 06:22 AM

I use Warm and Natural, and have several quilts that have been washed more than once. I have not noticed any shrinkage.

foxxigrani 02-10-2010 06:24 AM

Ditto, altough I have heard of that. Actually when I read that, I was shocked, and told myself oh no something else I don't do that stupid me should. Oh well add it to the long list of stupids.

Rita

jbud2 02-10-2010 06:26 AM

the warm and natural that I just used said on the wrapper you don't have to wash it. There is a 2 to 3% shrinkage but it says it makes the quilt look slightly popcorned when washed and dried. I didn't prewash, and we are using the quilt now in this blankety-blank-blankweather!

brushandthimble 02-10-2010 06:28 AM

No, Never stupid, just each to their own personal choice. I have NEVER and never will prewash my batting. I will sometimes put it in the dryer with a wet towel to remove some of the wringles. JMHO

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
Ditto, altough I have heard of that. Actually when I read that, I was shocked, and told myself oh no something else I don't do that stupid me should. Oh well add it to the long list of stupids.

Rita

ckcowl 02-10-2010 06:45 AM

on some of the packaging for different batts it does say if you want to 'prewash' to just place in tub of h2o and soak a few minutes, carefully squeeze out the water and place in dryer to dry and fluff, it also states this step is NOT NECESSARY, but can be done. back in the 'old-daze' batts shank alot more than now, different techniques making the batting, it really is no longer necessary unless you are making something that you absolutely do not want to shrink at all, but the normal shrinkage is what gives the quilt the 'beautiful quilted look' in the first place so why would you want to loose that? i guess there could be a 'time and place' for a different look, but don't worry about needing to pre-shrink it really is a pain and i don't think its worth the bother

seamstress 02-10-2010 06:57 AM

brushandthimble thanks I was trying to figure out how to get all those wrinkles out

Barb_MO 02-10-2010 08:44 AM

I have never prewashed batting.

If I were to try to get the wrinkles out I would spray it with water, then put it in the dryer for a while. I wouldn't want to handle the batting once it had been in a tub of water.

Someone on the board posted a picture of a quilt she has used wool batting in.......there was so much shrinkage she ended up taking the quilting out and redoing it....so you probably do need to prewash wool batting.