Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for table cloth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-table-cloth-t119419.html)

tebill 04-28-2011 08:45 AM

I want to try some tube quilting to make a table cloth for our oval picnic table. I was wondering what kind of batting to use as I would like the table cloth to hang nicely over the edge. Thanks so much for your advice!

irishrose 04-28-2011 09:06 AM

I don't think I'd use any batting in a tablecloth. Just the pieced front and a backing.

belmer 04-28-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I don't think I'd use any batting in a tablecloth. Just the pieced front and a backing.

I agree!

rusty quilter 04-28-2011 11:49 AM

I would use flannel and no batting.

GrannieAnnie 04-28-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by tebill
I want to try some tube quilting to make a table cloth for our oval picnic table. I was wondering what kind of batting to use as I would like the table cloth to hang nicely over the edge. Thanks so much for your advice!

I'd use a piece of good cotton flannel as backing and nothing else.

ontheriver 04-28-2011 01:35 PM

I have made one where there is batting only on the table part and none on the sides that hang down. I like the batting to protect the table and also for hot items.

fabric_fancy 04-28-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by tebill

I'd use a piece of good cotton flannel as backing and nothing else.

ditto

happyscrappy 04-28-2011 03:11 PM

flannel shrinks through quite a few washings, not just the once like most cottons. most fabric stores sell a batting type of interfacing, usually is located with the interfacing, wonder under, etc. section. it is more stable than a felt type of fabric. i forget what it is called. i also use warm/natural, which i like alot. oh, i just assumed you were going to back the table cloth - these suggestions are for that type.

GrannieAnnie 04-30-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
flannel shrinks through quite a few washings, not just the once like most cottons. most fabric stores sell a batting type of interfacing, usually is located with the interfacing, wonder under, etc. section. it is more stable than a felt type of fabric. i forget what it is called. i also use warm/natural, which i like alot. oh, i just assumed you were going to back the table cloth - these suggestions are for that type.

depends on the flannel. Like anything else, if you buy good flannel like I suggested, it will be fine after one good hot wash.

tebill 04-30-2011 12:50 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'm wondering why you suggested using flannel. Is it because it would give it some thickness or wouldn't be slippery on the table?