Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for table runners? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-table-runners-t166327.html)

SUZAG 11-05-2011 12:27 PM

Batting for table runners?

I attended two craft shows today and was looking at the table runners...most did not have batting or the batting was so thin it felt like the thickness of felt. Are you supposed to put batting in a table runner and if so, what?

SUZAG 11-06-2011 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG (Post 4637036)
I attended two craft shows today and was looking at the table runners...most did not have batting or the batting was so thin it felt like the thickness of felt. Are you supposed to put batting in a table runner and if so, what?

I have had this posted now since Saturday and not one response! I've had 60 views but no responses! On the old format, I would have gotten a lot of answers! Have the helpful people left the board? This never even made it to the top of the "What's New", I guess because it didn't have any responses. The first place I found it was on page 2 of the "What's New"... Strange how this is working... I am posting again...

jraff 11-06-2011 10:59 PM

I think you've struck the nail on the head. I'm finding it difficult to review posts daily. The newsletter only shows a few topics that are hot. I have been going down a list (one page only) found by heading under the Home tab. But then I can't tell whether I've already looked at them. I wonder how long I'll keep doing it that way.

I too would like to know what to put in table runners for batting. The first one I made, I didn't think, and just stuck in a poly batt. Then realized the silliness it would cause if you wanted to set centerpiece or tableware on it. I apoligized to the person who bought it at the church craft sale. She didn't seem too concerned. I've seen them without batting, but I think they need a little something in them.

missionslady 11-06-2011 11:08 PM

Batting for Tablerunners

I just saw your question regarding batting for tablerunners. I've made a number of these and even sold a few. I have always used a light traditional batting. You need something that will give it that quilted look, but without too much bulk. I prefer a cotton batting such as warm and natural, and that has worked great for the ones I have made. I hope you get additional comments, as I'm sure there are some who have made more than I have.

Originally Posted by SUZAG (Post 4637036)

sewbeadit 11-06-2011 11:14 PM

Hi, I just saw this too. You could also use flannel if you want a thinner look or something along those lines. Really it is up to you. I have seen puffier ones that have the polyester batting in them but they look good and a vase with flowers would fit fine. Just what you want and the look you are after. Have fun.

ShirlR 11-06-2011 11:17 PM

On one of the tablerunner patterns I just purchased, it suggested useing flannel as the batting. I have a bunch of scrap flannel pieces a friend gave me, so I think I will try that. It's a good way for me to use up the flannel pieces I don't particularly like, and also to keep the runner from being too thick.

SUZAG 11-06-2011 11:24 PM

Thank you all for the reply's, I feel much better...LOL I guess there isn't any quilting police rules on the batting, whatever tickles your fancy...I guess when I see something quilted, I expect a little batting but I can also see the problem with the poly poofyness also. Probably the cotton batting would be the way to go. Thanks again!

BETTY62 11-07-2011 12:03 AM

I do not think all of the "helpful people" have left this board. I think there is a learning curve that effects the end results any time there is a change or something new going on within a system.

BMP 11-07-2011 03:00 AM

I have used flannel and Warm and Natural, if I am using traditional batting I make sure it is quitled pretty closely ( I LA it with a very close meander) it then is fine for setting anything on it without the fear of it tipping ..

Yarn or Fabric 11-07-2011 03:09 AM

I think you're a victim of the new board format to be honest with you. It's a pretty easy question to answer. Things seem to get lost pretty easily here. I don't know why out of 60 people no one answered to be hones with you.

I use either a heavy muslin, flannel or a VERY thin batting - the kind that looks like felt. If you use a thick batting your table runner will be lumpy lol.