Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting as thick as a mattress pad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-thick-mattress-pad-t147848.html)

OneMoreQuilt 08-25-2011 04:41 PM

I used some even thicker than an inch on my longarm. Make sure to make the quilt a little larger than you want it because more is taken up with the quilting than usual. I did very large meandering. It worked out fine and the recipiants love them. It did take a while and a couple of washings to loosen up though. (mine was 128" wide)

Jingle 08-25-2011 05:14 PM

I have some High Loft 1" thick batting I will be using on quilts, whenever I decide to use it. My experience is, it is never as thick as they say it is. I do a large meander, or whatever its called. I only use polyester quilt batting, warm without weight. It washes and dries very well.

scraphq 08-25-2011 05:18 PM

Your batting may be upholstery batting and will stay rigid forever! Don't ask how I know!

greensleeves 08-25-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
sounds to me like the batting that you buy to make chair pads or something along that line. I saw it in Joanns the other day.

My thought also. Upholstery batting doesn't soften up or drape over time.

greensleeves 08-25-2011 08:15 PM

double post, sorry

MsEithne 08-26-2011 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Hello fellow quilters,

I inherited some batting that is about 48" wide (best guess) and I swear it is almost as thick as a mattress pad. It is made from polyester.

Have any of you seen or used this type?
If so, what type of quilt?
Did you butt it together to make it bigger?
How does it handle? It sure doesn't feel very plyable.
How much/what kind of quilting did you apply?

Hope I am not stuck with this gynormous pad. :lol:

Are you absolutely certain it is quilt batting and not upholstery batting? The last layer before the fabric goes on is usually a layer of really thick polyester batting. It's rather stiff but works to plump out the upholstery fabric covering, which is fitted under tension. It also does not compress very much when you pinch it, it tries very hard to stay the same thickness.

annesthreads 08-26-2011 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
I used some even thicker than an inch on my longarm. Make sure to make the quilt a little larger than you want it because more is taken up with the quilting than usual. I did very large meandering. It worked out fine and the recipiants love them. It did take a while and a couple of washings to loosen up though. (mine was 128" wide)

Thanks for this. I bought some thicker batting a while ago, not realising immediately that it was so much thicker than what I'd had previously. It's been sitting there ever since waiting for me to get around to freecycling it, but maybe I'll try using it for some of my less precious ufos - large meander I can do!

thepolyparrot 08-26-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
Your batting may be upholstery batting and will stay rigid forever! Don't ask how I know!

I was wondering about this, too. It's what they use between the rubber foam and the upholstery lining or fabric. It's very stiff and meant to stay that way.

MadQuilter 08-26-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
Hop
Are you absolutely certain it is quilt batting and not upholstery batting?

Now I'm not so sure. What should I do with it? It's too much to toss.

thepolyparrot 08-26-2011 11:56 AM

It would be nice in quilted totes because it's got all the loft, plus it makes the bag stand up. Good for wall-hangings or chair cushions for the kitchen table. Or baby changing mats?