Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting from thrift stores. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-thrift-stores-t285088.html)

tessagin 01-09-2017 06:33 AM

Batting from thrift stores.

I stopped by the SA thrift store and an estate sale on impulse and picked up 5 mattress pads. Brought them home and washed in hot water then tossed into a hot dryer. Removed the trim/elastic and only paid $5 for all of it. 2 of the pads are king size and the others are queen. Another impulse use to put between a sheet and light blanket for the coldest couple nights we've had in a long time. Toasty to the point hubs kicked his feet out up to his knees. Will get the seam ripper out when I'm ready to use them. These are cotton/polyester. I now have a total of 6 pads to reuse for batting.

marge954 01-09-2017 06:49 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this idea that I would have never thought of doing! I make quilts for kids who have just aged out of foster care and sometimes the places they rent are old, drafty and cold. This will help lower my costs so I can make more quilts. I also have a friend who's church does denim quilts for the homeless shelter and I can't wait to ask if she's thought to try this.

Nanny's dollface 01-09-2017 07:04 AM

Great idea! Thank-you for sharing

Jane Quilter 01-09-2017 08:03 AM

Great idea. Note that if the padding is quilted (often a heat press for stitching) it will eventual "show" through your new quilt......so just I just quilt over the same "lines" as the padding and you can never tell.......

QuiltnNan 01-09-2017 08:07 AM

when i lived in MN, i went to my local thrift store and spoke with the manager. I asked for any mattress pads that they were going to dispose of due to wear or stains. I explained that I would be using them for charity quilts and they were happy to save them for me.

pocoellie 01-09-2017 08:18 AM

I've been doing this for years, since 99% of my quilts are donated.

minibarn 01-09-2017 08:52 AM

I have never thought of doing something like this so thanks for sharing. I have one question though...you said "Will get the seam ripper out when I'm ready to use them". What are you ripping at that point?

tessagin 01-09-2017 08:55 AM

This works great because you don't have to wonder about the suggested quilting distance, it's already there like a guideline. thank you for your comment. I had thought about getting the seam ripper.

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7737147)
Great idea. Note that if the padding is quilted (often a heat press for stitching) it will eventual "show" through your new quilt......so just I just quilt over the same "lines" as the padding and you can never tell.......

tessagin 01-09-2017 08:57 AM

wish I had know about this earlier. Another estate sale is coming up and I've made a list.

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 7737168)
I've been doing this for years, since 99% of my quilts are donated.

annievee 01-09-2017 09:03 AM

Thanks for the idea--clever one !