Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting used for baby quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-used-baby-quilts-t250512.html)

deeleigh 07-21-2014 08:57 AM

batting used for baby quilts?

Not having children of my own I am really stumped when I go and look at battings.I usually use Warm & Natural for most of my quilts but want something with alittle more puff for a baby quilt. I went to Hobby Lobby and after looking at all battings came home with Mountain Mist Ultra fine 100% poly.it says it is crib size so quessed it would be ok.I just need to be sure. You ladies are so smart and have helped a self taught quilter alot.

quiltingcandy 07-21-2014 09:00 AM

I use either 50/50 cotton/poly or 100% poly for children's quilts. They both hold up well with the amount of washing they get.

ManiacQuilter2 07-21-2014 09:00 AM

I have preferred to use Hobbs cotton batting 80/20. It will wear very nicely and it has a bit more puff than W&N. I have never been a fan of polyester batting. It is a bit challenging to quilt.

NJ Quilter 07-21-2014 09:27 AM

Not an expert here by any means. I think if it's loft you're looking for you'll probably need to go with at least a poly blend if not 100% poly. Personally, I prefer natural fibers as they burn vs melting. Safer for everyone.

Terri D. 07-21-2014 09:41 AM

I would go with a regular 100% cotton batt because it breathes; poly can get too warm to sleep under.

RainyBC 07-21-2014 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wool I believe is more expensive, but I love it. I was given a small piece to try and used scraps to make a baby quilt just to see how I would like it. The needle went through it like butter and I washed it just the way I would wash any other quilt/batting. It came out a little puffier - not too much though. It seem so much lighter than other batting as well. I'm really just still a beginner and wanted to try a little applique so this was my first attempt. I call the lollypop quilt. In the future I will use wool for baby quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484396[/ATTACH]

babyquiltlady 07-21-2014 10:27 AM

I use 100% cotton. I also try to find it in a roll since most of my baby quilts are no wider than 45 inches wide. This prevents waste as I make many baby quilts.
Since I am a hand quilter, I also enjoy quilting using the cotton batting.

ShelleyCS 07-21-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by RainyBC (Post 6811351)
Wool I believe is more expensive, but I love it. I was given a small piece to try and used scraps to make a baby quilt just to see how I would like it. The needle went through it like butter and I washed it just the way I would wash any other quilt/batting. It came out a little puffier - not too much though. It seem so much lighter than other batting as well. I'm really just still a beginner and wanted to try a little applique so this was my first attempt. I call the lollypop quilt. In the future I will use wool for baby quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484396[/ATTACH]

I love this little quilt, RainyBC. I've never done appliqué though. Is it a standard pattern or one you invented?

sahm4605 07-21-2014 11:54 AM

I make them all the time. When you are making a baby quilt you have to take into account the parents. Many now a days will not use anything unless it is 100% organic whatever. And if they get a home made gift and they don't know if it is 100% cotton they won't uses it and many times will just get rid of it. I knew two moms who actually did this. I had made them a quilt and knowing their desire for organic and cotton went with that. I have also used bamboo "pollyfill"(stuff you shove in a pillow or stuffed animal) on a baby quilt and while the quilting was a pain and messy it was the lightest softest one ever. I have never used wool but have heard real good things about it. I would use just what you like with the parents in mind.

RainyBC 07-21-2014 11:57 AM

Thank you Shelley. I started out to make a coin quilt, but found I really didn't have enough of the Kissing Booth fabric left so just added the panel to make it wider. But, then thought that it would be too plain so that's when I decided to try applique which actually went better than I thought it would. I didn't want raw edges, so the edges are all turned under, by cutting the (simple) shapes 1/4 inch larger, sewing a running stitch 1/4 inch from edge and using a little plastic template I made, turned the edges under. This was really an experiment for me using wool batting and first time applique. Even the quilting is pretty much an amateur attempt by stitching in the ditch and using the serpentine stitch on my sewing machine. I did learn a lot while doing this little quilt.