Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting for warm quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-warm-quilt-t88679.html)

salmonsweet 01-08-2011 12:18 PM

I'm currently making a quilt with Hobb's wool batting and flannel back. Seriously warm and cuddly, and very light. It's a lot lighter than even a single layer of cotton batt, let alone two. And wool is a wonderful heat insulator.

nkahle 01-08-2011 01:45 PM

I make my quilts with one layer of batting between the top and bottom of the quilt.

Ramona Byrd 01-08-2011 01:55 PM

Somebody recently was telling about making a quilt with batting that "was 1 and 1/2 times warmer than down." I misplaced that one, I wanted it for myself because I'm always cold in the house. Might even line a jacket with it, should I find it.

gale 01-08-2011 01:56 PM

I really want to make one with wool batting. Is it still machine washable with the wool?

sik1010 01-08-2011 06:31 PM

If you use fleece, do you wash it differently? I took some classes on fleece, several years ago, and they explained the way fleece is made. Which is with recycled plastic and polyester; that's why the fabric wasn't around until we started recycling, but with the plastic combed into the polyester, they told us to only use powder detergent as a liquid detergent or fabric softener liquid will just create a film and continue to build up. This is also a problem if using fleece for young children that still have accidents--the odor will stay until powder has kind of cleaned the fibers. Does anyone know if this information is different? I've never used it for batting or backing because I didn't know how it would clean.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-08-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I really want to make one with wool batting. Is it still machine washable with the wool?

I've been wondering the same thing about wool.
Also the idea of fleece is great! I have a bunch taking up space that I can now have a use for. Thanks!

deema 01-08-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by sik1010
If you use fleece, do you wash it differently? I took some classes on fleece, several years ago, and they explained the way fleece is made. Which is with recycled plastic and polyester; that's why the fabric wasn't around until we started recycling, but with the plastic combed into the polyester, they told us to only use powder detergent as a liquid detergent or fabric softener liquid will just create a film and continue to build up. This is also a problem if using fleece for young children that still have accidents--the odor will stay until powder has kind of cleaned the fibers. Does anyone know if this information is different? I've never used it for batting or backing because I didn't know how it would clean.

That's interesting. I've never heard that, and always wash everything with liquid detergent, no problems. :)

Jim 01-08-2011 09:16 PM

We've made a few quilts with doubled polester batting...they were TOO warm...they burned me up..but my DD and FIL loved them

Jim 01-08-2011 09:16 PM

We've made a few quilts with doubled polyester batting...they were TOO warm...they burned me up..but my DD and FIL loved them

jaciqltznok 01-08-2011 09:31 PM

wool or poly...

I used old wool blankets you can find at yard sales, thrift stores..etc...even with moth holes, they make nice WARM batting...

Poly is known for its heat holding ability because unlike cotton, poly does not breathe....so once it is WARM..it stays that way!