Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting: Wool vs. Quilters Dream Puff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-wool-vs-quilters-dream-puff-t269831.html)

carol45 09-10-2015 09:37 AM

Batting: Wool vs. Quilters Dream Puff

I'm going to be making a queen size double wedding ring quilt. I've recently grown to love the Quilters Dream Puff batting--it feels so good to work with, it's supposed to be very warm, and I get a lot of definition on my quilting with it. I also have a queen size wool batting in the house that I've been wanting to use for something. Can anyone tell me how wool compares to Quilters Dream Puff in (1) Warmth and (2) Clear definition of quilting? I will be quilting it on a DSM.
Thanks!

ManiacQuilter2 09-10-2015 10:14 AM

What brand of wool? Varies depending on who makes it. Never used the Dream puff before, prefer the Dream cotton instead.

carol45 09-10-2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7313226)
What brand of wool? Varies depending on who makes it. Never used the Dream puff before, prefer the Dream cotton instead.

Hobbs Tuscany Collection 100% wool.

joe'smom 09-10-2015 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a card with pieces of all the Quilter's Dream batting stapled on. They are happy to send samples or answer questions. On this card I have, the wool and puff battings are right next to each other, and the puff looks about 1/16" higher than the wool. The card claims 'amazing breathability' for the puff and says it is 1.5x as warm as down; I guess that means it's warmer than the wool.

Right now I'm binding a quilt made with the Dream Wool. Here is a photo of the definition:

edit

Oh, I see you aren't using Dream Wool. I don't know how much Hobb's and Dream differ.

sewingitalltogether 09-10-2015 11:31 AM

Oh, the quilt on my bed is the Hobbs Tuscany Wool. It's the nicest quilt I've slept under. It's a treat to use it. Don't know how it is to quilt on. I sent mine out to a LA quilter.

sahm4605 09-10-2015 11:53 AM

check the washing instructions on the wool. my mil has a beautiful quilt that has wool batting that she cant use because she has to dry clean it. she hates to have it in the closet but she cant wash it once a week like her other one. and she has to wash her bedding once a week with animals and kids all over them.

carol45 09-10-2015 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 7313300)
Oh, the quilt on my bed is the Hobbs Tuscany Wool. It's the nicest quilt I've slept under. It's a treat to use it. Don't know how it is to quilt on. I sent mine out to a LA quilter.

Is there good definition of the quilting, or is it fairly flat?

carol45 09-10-2015 12:22 PM

That's a good point about wool. I know you are supposed to be able to wash it, but it will probably shrink. Anyone have experience with washing wool quilts?

ckcowl 09-10-2015 12:26 PM

I Love Hobbs and dream wool battings! The quilting definition is wonderful, they launder ( I toss in washer, regular cycle, warm water; toss in dryer, regular cycle) so nicely. They fluff up & just get softer, loftier, cozier more wonderful. I don't launder them often ( 2-3 times a year) depending on how much I use them. Wool is wonderful to work with, the quilts breath, are warm in winter, comfortable in summer. Wool is always my favorite choice for really special quilts. I have no experience with dream puff