Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bearding! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bearding-t57703.html)

franie 08-03-2010 04:22 PM

I have been quilting for about 15 yrs or so but just learned what bearding meant. Unfortunately, it happened on a quilt I just quilted and planned to enter in the fair. It has a lot of black in the quilt and I did not use black batting--does that clue you? I have white spots in some areas at the stitching lines. Someone suggested a battery operated sweater pill remover like shaver. I don't have one of those but I did remember a fine tooth comb for pill removing. Found it and it is working somewhat. More to go. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to remove bearding? I thought bearding was when batting sagged and drooped when the quilting was not close enough and hung. I am busy now shaving...

thimblebug6000 08-03-2010 04:27 PM

I have only ever had a problem with bearding when I used a poly batt. Sorry you're having a problem, but can't think of any other cure.....the fibers are migrating through the cotton fabric weave.... will be interested to hear if someone has a cure for you. Even if you shave/trim the bearding at the moment....won't it continue as the quilt is used?

Rob 08-03-2010 04:29 PM

I do not have any suggestions but if you use the sweater shaver for other things, you may want to consider getting an electric one. Mine? That thing just went thru batteries right and left!

mom-6 08-03-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
I have only ever had a problem with bearding when I used a poly batt. Sorry you're having a problem, but can't think of any other cure.....the fibers are migrating through the cotton fabric weave.... will be interested to hear if someone has a cure for you. Even if you shave/trim the bearding at the moment....won't it continue as the quilt is used?

I think the bearding happens when the needle pushes through the batting to make the stitch, so I don't Think it will be an ongoing problem.

Borntohandquilt 08-03-2010 10:47 PM

My experience is that bearding mostly happens with poly and wool battings, also with silk. The manufacturers try to avoid this with a special method of producing the batting. Many of them are today resin bonded and as far as I have seen it it's getting better.
I also think that it's a matter of fabric. On some brands the fibre migration is stronger, with others I had no problem at all. Unfortunately you will recognize it when the quilt is almost finished...

sewgull 08-04-2010 05:31 AM

Try a disposable razor.

franie 08-04-2010 08:55 AM

It is from the needle pulling the batting to the top. I used W&N because it was a piece the right size.

franie 08-04-2010 08:56 AM

Oh forgot to mention the black fabric where you see it is a Kona I think.

BellaBoo 08-04-2010 09:14 AM

I made a baby quilt using navy color fabric for the background. Bearding was terrible. It was like a film on the quilt not just at the stitches. It was the first time I had ever heard of bearding too. To me it ruined the quilt. I tried everything before giving it to the baby. I told the mother to use it as a utility quilt. I made another one for the baby's first birthday. I've never had it happen using Warm and Natural though. Does scrim stop bearding?

franie 08-04-2010 09:22 AM

I don't know about scrim either. But I should have used black batting. But there is white too on this quilt. what is scrim?