Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beauty ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beauty-t63348.html)

Lynneander 09-06-2010 08:48 AM

I'm not posting a picture, but a thought. While reading through the posts over the past weeks, a sentiment has caught my attention. Why are we sometimes so critical of our own work? It is clearly a gift from our heart; a gift which has no measure. My husband reminded me of something so simple, yet elegant ... the beauty of everything is in it's imperfection.

lynnie 09-06-2010 08:49 AM

so true!!!

DebinNY 09-06-2010 08:55 AM

I was thinking the same thing lately. I am my own worst critic as well. Whenever I make something that doesn't come out quite right, and I show it to someone, they always say "I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out."
You're right, it is a gift from the heart and the receiver will love it despite its imperfections...
Why do we do that?????

jayelee 09-06-2010 09:12 AM

Because we are our own worse critics I am learning from some very good friends that nobody is perfect and I should not try to be As long as I do must best I should be satisfied Because they are more than pleased with what I do

cherylynne 09-06-2010 01:31 PM

Handmade things can't be perfect. Machines make the same perfect things over and over. We have the ability to personalize our work.

Lady Shivesa 09-06-2010 02:15 PM

I struggle with this issue too. I point out the flaws in my own work almost without thinking.

In a way, the little imperfections make our work unique. There's no other quilt in the world that is the same as yours - even if it has the same colors, fabrics and the same pattern - it doesn't have those little 'mistakes' that make it yours (ours!).

I've begun to refer to those mistakes as my 'artistic signature.' ;)

Lacelady 09-06-2010 02:20 PM

I think that we are always urged from a very young age to strive for perfection, to be first, to be the best etc. etc. so that if we don't match up to what we are striving for, we only seem to see the imperfections.

Allied to that most of us have great difficulty accepting a compliment.

jayelee 09-06-2010 02:58 PM

I like that " MY ARTISTIC SIGNATURE " I think I am going to use that if you don't mind

sueisallaboutquilts 09-06-2010 03:08 PM

I love what your husband said!! I'm weird I think. I can take compliments, no problem, can cook or bake something less than perfect, no problem. But when it comes to my quilting projects I'm a perfectionist and it just isn't ME- but I guess it is :D Very silly and I wish I wasn't that way!!

Mariposa 09-06-2010 03:22 PM

I like the "artistic signature" idea! Yes, we do need to learn to just say "thanks" when we get a compliment. It can be so hard to do!
I have also learned to TRY to keep my mouth shut and not point out the mistakes, and folks think it is just great! So I am learning.......