Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Becolorful line by Jaqueline de Jonge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/becolorful-line-jaqueline-de-jonge-t144316.html)

clf3217 08-11-2011 05:06 AM

Have any of you wonderful folks done any of Jaqueline de Jonge's Becolorful paper piecing patterns? I am very lucky to be taking one of her classes and was wondering how hard/easy it is to paper piece as I have never attempted/tried it. Really thought this would be a good time to learn...Any information would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

auntpiggylpn 08-11-2011 05:09 AM

I haven't but I love PPing. I didn't even know who she was so I googled her. The patterns are beautiful! I have filed her away for future reference!!!

luv-e 08-11-2011 05:19 AM

Lucky You!!! I've dabbled in it..would love to take a class in it......
Can't wait to see your work.......
Exciting to learn something new!!!!!!!

OKLAHOMA PEACH 08-11-2011 05:27 AM

Paper piecing is easy, once you make that first square, you will understand it and like how the corners match without sweat.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-11-2011 05:43 AM

I haven't heard of her but I love love love Carol Doak. PPing is fun once you get the hang of it, and the accuracy is awesome :D
Have fun!!

Lori S 08-11-2011 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done her "joy" pattern . I do not recomend her patterns for new quilters or first time paper piecers. Good thing you are taking a class. She is a Dutch designer and her husband does the translations into English on her patterns.... Hopefully they have gotten better.... as he is not a sewer and sometimes a wrong term or word is used. ( this is where I was glad I had lots of experience) .

Her patterns did not have the papers for paper peicing ... the instructions required you to trace each pattern piece( they have copyrighted so making copies is actually a no- no) . They have worked to correct this over the years but some still do not have the papers included... and do be cautious of those as the orginals are printed on European sizes paper .... they do not copy onto a US sized paper with out having to tape sections together. At one point I had to use Architectural sized paper.
I sent a lenghty e- mail to them after my experiences with the first pattern pattern. Her husband responded saying they where trying to resolve the "no papers included " issue. Some now have them.
I like her patterns from a design stand point but found the instructions poorly organized and formatted. At one point on one of the patterns for a fabric requirements it just said "lots" ...well that a bit loose even for my taste.
Having a class would certainly help to alleviate the issues.
This is one of the quilts I did from her patterns.

The pattern is JOY
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239963[/ATTACH]

luvspaper 08-11-2011 06:06 AM

I bought one of her patterns at the IQF in Houston a couple of years ago. At the time, I had no idea how many different fabrics it took. if I remember (without looking) I think I bought Listen with your Eyes.

I found the listing of fabrics to be very hard to understand how much of how many you needed. You have to remember her first language is not English and whoever is writing/translating is doing an okay job, but at times it is hard to get through.

Another downfall is that you have to copy each piece of the pattern and some of them are more than 8 1/2 x 11. Which means finding a professional copy store.

Hopefully a class will help you get through some of that.

just_the_scraps_m'am 08-11-2011 06:14 AM

try it--you'll be glad you did--it is extremely accurate--
if you don't like it--you don't have to use it--but you probably will!

TRY it!

Bridget58 02-11-2013 04:50 AM

For all who like to try a pattern of Becolourful, there are several patterns with all the sheets in it. Complete. There's no more tracing or anything. The text is modified by an American fabric store owner. And if you're not quite sure how to paper piece, or have not that much of experience, there is a "How to make a Becolourful quilt" DVD. So things change for the better :)