Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bed Bugs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bed-bugs-t66582.html)

Twilliebee 09-24-2010 04:17 PM

I don't know if it's not a problem in areas with colder winters (although I don't imagine a winter in Lansing, MI is T-shirt weather LOL) but in almost 40 years of secondhand shopping I've never had a problem.
OMG the very idea of bugs in my completely essential eyeglasses is horrifying!! YUCK :thumbdown:

bearisgray 09-24-2010 04:20 PM

I really had never heard/thought about bed bugs being "real" until the recent news about them.

We would say - Good night, don't let the bed bugs bite -

but it was said the same way we said

After while, crocodile - or

See you later, alligator

Melinda in Tulsa 09-24-2010 04:44 PM

I'm familiar with those sayings! :lol:

GrammaNan 09-24-2010 05:11 PM

My daughter had them in her apartment and she was COVERED with bites. I had her come home and made her leave everything that she owned. Because of the infestation she was able to get out of her lease. When she came in the door, I shut it and made her strip and threw the clothes away. I helped her replace everything. I think we went through two bottles of calamine lotion. We shop at garage sale a lot. When I buy material I take it straight to the washer and wash it in hot water. You can even get bedbugs from the seats in a movie theater! We have Comcast so until this invasion is over we will have to wait until we can see the new releases Good luck everyone.

tucsonquilter 09-24-2010 05:24 PM

Oh no! I just went to the theatre and watch Wallstreet....ugh bed bugs.

stitchinwitch 09-24-2010 05:57 PM

ya'll are making me itch and I will never get a motel again

sewgull 09-24-2010 06:02 PM

Bed bugs can be spread when you have guests in your home.
My neice says she does not allow her children to spent the night at a friends home or have sleepovers. After spending several thousand dollars to get rid of bed bugs she said no more. The children agree to these rules. They don't don't care to be bitten.

dotcomdtcm 09-24-2010 07:07 PM

Hot water wash helps but the dryer really does the job. My DD is community liason for a local Councilman and all she seems to do is answer bedbug complaints!

Chasing Hawk 09-24-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Goodwill & garage sales are not the only places that the bedbugs hitch a ride. Major department stores are having to deal with this issue lately. They are transported from place to place because of our shipping industry. It reminds me of when I was a kid & you had to check the paper grocery bags for roaches.

Originally Posted by max's grandma
When you buy fabric etc. at goodwill, garage sales, etc. worry about bringing home these little pests? I love going to these places also, but wonder if I could bring them home.

Yuck!

sew_southern 09-24-2010 08:07 PM

I thought these were a thing of the past, like in the 1800's past. I see the reports on the world news, but I haven't heard what started them up again. What part of the country are they worse in? I haven't heard much on the local scale here. I will steer clear of the thrift shops, etc. for awhile though.