Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bed Runner complete - but how to quilt ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bed-runner-complete-but-how-quilt-t294811.html)

RJLinkletter 02-15-2018 10:40 AM

Bed Runner complete - but how to quilt ?

1 Attachment(s)
I am fairly early on in my quilting journey (I only got my first machine at Christmas). I’ve finished my bed runner which I was using as a way to learn different techniques. Now I’ve got to quilt it but not sure what to do. I’ve done SID before which I can do and I have used my walking foot to do ‘cross hatching’ across smaller square projects. I’ve tried FMQ once which was a disaster but I have a class on this in 5 weeks time so I can practice that on smaller pieces. Is there anything more interesting I can do with my walking foot other than SID?

RJLinkletter 02-15-2018 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For some reason I can only attach one picture in each post!

JanelleTrebuna 02-15-2018 11:28 AM

I love this beautiful sampler.
You are doing a wonderful job.

nativetexan 02-15-2018 11:44 AM

maybe some straight lines in the sashings, not to compete with the lovely blocks?

OhCanada 02-15-2018 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does your machine have a serpentine stitch? That works well with a walking foot. Or any kind of straight lines really, doesn’t have to be SID, you can echo stitch with a walking foot. In the photo below I added some triangles to the borders with my walking foot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589128[/ATTACH]

RJLinkletter 02-15-2018 12:41 PM

Hi Oh Canada - I think it does but I never thought of using some different stitches with the walking foot! I'm going to do a trial on a scrap tomorrow - thank you so much for the idea! Triangles is a nice idea as well.

OhCanada 02-15-2018 01:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter (Post 8004096)
Hi Oh Canada - I think it does but I never thought of using some different stitches with the walking foot! I'm going to do a trial on a scrap tomorrow - thank you so much for the idea! Triangles is a nice idea as well.

I’ve also quilted a big spiralling circle using my walking foot, a bit fiddly when you start in the middle but gets quite easy going as you spiral outwards. Photo below shows what I mean - log cabin blocks are quilted with a huge spiral with walking foot, no marking necessary, just use edge of foot as guide.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589129[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589130[/ATTACH]

RJLinkletter 02-15-2018 01:41 PM

That is beautiful! There is clearly more to the walking foot than I envisaged so will keep practising, thanks!

PaperPrincess 02-15-2018 01:51 PM

Make sure you verify that your machine and walking foot combo is capable of doing decorative stitches. Not all are. Some will not even let you reverse.

Prism99 02-15-2018 02:33 PM

I would not recommend SID, as there are so many designs you can do with a walking foot. There are even Craftsy classes online. If you Google "images", you will find lots of ideas.