Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bed Sheets as Backing Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bed-sheets-backing-question-t238953.html)

ILoveToQuilt 01-16-2014 05:44 AM

Bed Sheets as Backing Question

Morning All...

I have a quick question. I've read here on QB that some use bed sheets as backing fabric for their quilts. (I will assume that they are of the 100% cotton variety.) My question is: what thread count in the sheets is best to use? (180, 400, 600 etc.) I've noticed that the higher the count, the more expensive the sheet is and was also wondering if using sheets is really a good buy in comparison to buying fabric. I've also noticed that the higher the thread count, the "silkier" the sheet feels and I wonder if they are "stiff" enough for quilt backs.

Thanks for your input! Have a great day! :)

Anita

charlottequilts 01-16-2014 05:53 AM

I'll be interested in the responses to this. I just machine quilted some pads using low-loft poly batting and a variety of old sheets and cases. The easiest were the poly/cotton with lower thread count, although they were more slippery and needed pinning. I had 2 high thread count cottons. One was easy and one (i think 500 or 600) was just awful. I'm not sure one could conclude much from that about all sheets. Except that the high thread count seem a lot heavier than quilting cotton.

hugs,
charlotte

Tartan 01-16-2014 06:00 AM

I go more by the feel and look of the weave rather then thread count. Bring a nice quality quilting cotton scrap with you and compare them. You don't want really high thread count because they are dense to quilt. I would not try to hand quilt with a bed sheet for backing either. 100% cotton are less slippery to quilt also.

pocoellie 01-16-2014 06:30 AM

I've used sheets for lots of quilts and never had any problem. I also go by the feel and the weave rather than the "count".

Shelbie 01-16-2014 06:47 AM

I use sheets all the time for backings, all cotton, flannel and poly/cotton blend. If you are machine quilting, I don't think it matters. The all cotton sheets do lie flatter and don't pucker quite as easily as the poly/cotton sheets. I try to buy the middle of the road thread count. The 180 thread count sheets are sometimes coarsely woven or have a loose weave. You really need to feel them and check carefully. I've had $5 sheets that were great and $25 ones that were not (slippery and hard to handle). Some poly/cotton sheets after a lot of wear and washings may pill (those annoying little balls) but by that time, the top is probably starting to wear really badly as well. Happy sheet hunting as using sheets really cuts down on the cost of your quilt.

laurlync 01-16-2014 07:11 AM

My grandmother and her sisters all used sheets for backings. One of her sisters is still an avid quilter and even uses sheets in her tops if she happens to find the perfect color. They all were and are hand quilters. Usually, the cheaper, lower thread count sheets work best. The cheaper sheets at Walmart use to be 100% cotton, but I think most of them now have some polyester in them as well. Target has 100% cotton sheets and I found some a couple years ago that were on clearance during a changeover from spring/summer colors to fall/winter colors and they were only $3 -$4 each. My mom bought all she could from the Target where she lives and I bought all I could here. I quilt on a longarm and often use sheets as backing for my "everyday" quilts. I do also have a collection of backings that we have bought on sale and use those as well. I haven't really seen any difference in the way they quilt up.

Oh, and those quilts that my grandmother made...the sheet backings have held up as well if not better than the tops. Sheets are made to be heavily laundered and most last for years with weekly washings. Most people, however, don't wash their quilts weekly.

sweetpea 01-16-2014 07:24 AM

I too have a question about useing sheets. I have a sheet that the package say's is it 108x102 but I'm hoping that somebody can tall me if the 102 is on the top and botton or the side. It is new in the packings and If will not work i need to be able to take it back.

Jingle 01-16-2014 07:27 AM

When I started quilting 46-47 years ago I used some sheets for backings, much better than now.
I used a sheet backing for a comforter about 9 or so years ago and the tied comforter wants to slide off the bed easily.
I have looked at sheets and can't find any that seems suitable. I wish they made ones that could be used for backs. The size would have less excess leftovers. You could buy them closer to the size of the top.

leggz48 01-16-2014 07:37 AM

I use sheets as backing about half the time.......the ones I use most often are Walmart brand 200 thread count. They are either cotton or a poly/cotton blend. They are stable enough to work with and soft enough to be comfortable. I usually buy a King for approximately $15 and use the excess for borders and/or binding. It works great but I always cut off all hems and selvages, square it up, before I start putting it with the quilt.

I've heard that the higher thread count, being more dense, can be a bad idea because the needle will break the fabric threads since they are so close together .....whereas on a lower thread count the needle will go between threads. Whether that is true or not, I don't know; but it makes a good story.

leggz48 01-16-2014 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea (Post 6515872)
I too have a question about useing sheets. I have a sheet that the package say's is it 108x102 but I'm hoping that somebody can tall me if the 102 is on the top and botton or the side. It is new in the packings and If will not work i need to be able to take it back.

The first number is always the width; the last number is the length. Good Luck.