Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Been quilting long enough to know how....but don't. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/been-quilting-long-enough-know-how-but-dont-t187208.html)

duckydo 04-27-2012 04:05 AM

It happens, when it does I just snip it and press it so it lays the right way, so that it is not such a large bump to quilt over. I agree setting the seams seems to help, no pun intended... LOL

Judith 04-27-2012 04:34 AM

I hate when this happens so here is what I do. When I'm setting my seams before pressing them to one side, if there is a seam where the seam allowance is pointing the wrong way on the bottom side, I put a tiny spot of Elmers school glue just at that spot. When you then press the seam to one side, that little sucker is glued down and will not give you a problem when you sew over it. The glue washes out, the frustration is gone and it's quicker that re-sewing any twisted seams. I usually repair seams when I do them twisted and it bugs me every time so this way cuts my stress level!

Glory 04-27-2012 04:37 AM

I have this happen sometimes to but I don't let it bother me. The front looks good, then I am fine. I do not spray starch any thing on my quilt. I love the softness of the fabric and batting. I tried it one time and sewing with "cardboard is not my thing. In all the years that I helped My Grandmother make quilts, not one time did I see her starch her quilt blocks or quilts. Just enjoy the the quilt making. There is only one who is perfect!

coopah 04-27-2012 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Comice (Post 5170681)
I am so watching this thread. My seams do the exact same thing-

I'm with you on this Comice! I discovered that the front part of the machine that opens for the bobbin had a gap in the height from the plate with the feed dogs. i was able to put a shimabout 1/8 inch) under the section that was lower. So now the machine lines up fine, but I still get the twisted seams. I just iron them into submission. No ripping out or I'd never finish a quilt! Besides, I'll be dead and gone before someone tries to check the inside of my quilt!:D

SueSew 04-27-2012 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5172324)
I'm a complete weird-o fanatic about this. When I learned to quilt, my teacher insisted our backs looked as good as the front (her thinking being that if the back was all in order, the front would reflect that). I was also taught to press my seams open & I do. Plus I press every seam as soon as I sew it (no finger pressing for me). I rarely have my seams flip. I mean, it may seem like a lot of extra work to do it like I do but I think it pays off. Just my opinion...

I so admire your precision! One of the quilters in my open class showed us one of her WIP's - a very pointy complicated kind of log cabin - and the back was beautiful! My quilt backs were not so pretty - flipped seams, ravelley fabric, trailing threads etc . (Of course I am not in quilt shows and going to be a judge like she is) I wanted everyone in class to admire the back of her quilt. Now I am trying hard to make my backs better. I bet you find it easier to quilt the top knowing your seams are in order.

AZ Jane 04-27-2012 06:01 AM

Love the Clover fork pins. Costly?? Depends on how much the twisted seams bother you.

leighway 04-27-2012 06:22 AM

All the replies to my question have been greatly appreciated and I've learned something. I just love to quilt and I'll try harder using a stilleto to get my seams straight but in the end, by the time somebody checks the inside of my quilts, I'll be off-planet. I feel better knowing I'm not being a complete failure by not having my seams straight. And kudos to those who do fastidious work. I really admire the quality of precision as I careen my way though life. But, try as I might, I'll never be one of the precise ones. And that's just perfect for me. Isn't it wonderful to be a quilter?

itssewfun 04-27-2012 07:25 AM

I find that if there is even a slight ridge on the machine where it meets the cabinet I have a problem. A piece of green label Scotch tape placed over the ridge stops the problem. Cheap, easily replaceable when I have to change the bobbin and makes a real difference.

Marysewfun 04-27-2012 07:31 AM

I'm glad this came up - being a new quilter, I just figured (sigh!) it was one more hurdle I would have to learn to get over.

Marysewfun

RedGarnet222 04-27-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5170991)
I always sew with the seams allowances to watch on the top. I iron and starch my rows before stitching them together and I usually place a pin on a 45(across both allowances) if I have a tricky spot. I am careful when I approach the pin and remove it and hold the seam allowance with my stiletto. If I find the occasional twisted seam, I remove a few stitches and fix it.

Ditto for me too tartan! Exactly how I do it.