Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Before High School or After? Advice needed please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/before-high-school-after-advice-needed-please-t286574.html)

homefrontgirl 03-04-2017 05:20 PM

Before High School or After? Advice needed please!

I've always planned to make a quilt for my nieces and nephews when they graduate from high school. My oldest niece is in 8th grade this year and that got me thinking: should I stick with my plan or should I make them a quilt before going into high school so they could use it at home? My reasoning is that if I wait for graduation, they might not really use it until they get an apartment after college, and then it might not fit their personality any longer.

Thoughts? What do you do? Advice please! Thanks in advance!

Beth

MadQuilter 03-04-2017 05:30 PM

If you love them enough to make them a quilt then you could make one when the mood strikes. If they use it and love it, they may want another one for graduation. :)

NJ Quilter 03-04-2017 05:32 PM

I can only offer my experience. I've made quilts for dear friends' children for their HS graduations. Both of them will not sleep one night - anywhere - without their quilts. They have both taken them to college with them and bring them home over long weekends/breaks and use them at home as well.

I've chosen to do anniversary quilts for all of my & DH's siblings. Same deal - they all use them daily.

Were it me - I'd continue with your original plan. They will be loved and appreciated - perhaps even more because of the emotional significance for them - of graduation.

quiltingcandy 03-04-2017 05:39 PM

Not sure how many you are going to make, but since you plan to make it a tradition as a graduation present I would stick with that. The nieces and nephews that are the age of my children, I have only made one quilt because they had either a mother or grandmother that made quilts. (The one I did make was because the family is a big Seahawks and Seattle Mariners fans so I made a quilt with those fabrics.) For their children I have been making quilts based on things they like. (I Spy quilts, Star Wars, Disney - any excuse I can think of I make them a new quilt.) I figure as they outgrow them, they can donate them.

lynnie 03-04-2017 05:43 PM

you can make them now, and then they might want one of the schools colors. she how it goes and start now.Please show us what you do. They may love the quilt to death and use it all the time. Then when they go to college, you might want to make one for them then too. Depending of course, on how many kids you're talking about,( one or two or more.)

sushi 03-04-2017 06:40 PM

I think you should make the quilts now but save them until the kids graduate from HS. My thinking is: You're healthy now and able to make the quilts. While there's no reason to expect anything dire to happen between now and their graduations, there's also no guarantee.

If you make them now, you'd be wise to put notes on them to indicate your intended recipient. You'd also be wise to advise the parents of these nieces and nephews as to the quilts' existence and location.

Quilting Grandma 03-04-2017 07:05 PM

I make quilts for HS graduation for our grandkids. 9 down and 6 to go. The first one was 17 years ago and I have had to make a replacement because it was loved to tatters. I frequently use their college colors.
I am currently trying to decide if I want to make quilts for the great grand kids. 11 so far.
Whenever you make them, they will be treasured.

MaryKatherine 03-04-2017 07:52 PM

You want to make them a quilt. Do it now. Another one will come when the occasion speaks to you.

ckcowl 03-05-2017 06:10 AM

Make them when you want. For my nieces, and granddaughters I made little quilts when they were toddlers, new big girl quilts when they turned 13 and graduation quilts, then a wedding quilt when that occasion comes. There have been special requests- other quilts in between but those are the milestones I try to accomplish along the way. When ever you decide to make one wil be special.

sewingitalltogether 03-05-2017 06:37 AM

I've made the grandkids (all 8 of them) baby quilts and then as they get older a big kid quilt. I don't think I'm making 8th grade, high school and graduation quilts. But who knows.