Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginner quilter... I have some questions... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginner-quilter-i-have-some-questions-t213294.html)

Pinklady 02-10-2013 10:39 AM

Welcome from NC. You will love this site. I did not know what I was doing till I started reading on here. Everyone taught me how to quilt and how to get the things to match.

oldtisme 02-10-2013 01:55 PM

I'm completely new to Quilting too, and I'm so glad you asked this question I was seeing all the posts about "color catchers" & wasn't sure exactly what they were...actually still don't but I did see someone state "Shout color catchers" in laundry isle so I'll be on the lookout for them what ever they are so I can use them too.

kathbug 02-10-2013 02:28 PM

Welcome to the board. I am new to quilting and all of these quilters are so helpful and supportive love them all. Enjoy your quilting projects and don't forget to share!

cathyvv 02-10-2013 02:28 PM

Welcome - and be glad you didn't pre-wash the jelly roll fabrics. They ravel and you wind up with a rats nest! The rats nest can be taken apart - with great care! Same is true for all pre-cuts, like charm packs or layer cakes.

Wash the quilt after it is quilted and bound. Make sure you use a color catcher, too.

Good luck with your quilting career!

Great question!

barny 02-10-2013 02:38 PM

You have already made the top haven't you? Don't wash it until you quilt it. You will have ravelings all over the place. Sandwich it, back it and quilt it, bind it, and THEN wash it with color catchers. It will be fine.

captlynhall 02-10-2013 02:48 PM

Welcome from Texas. I am relatively new to quilting too. I am hand quilting my third quilt and have one on the design wall. This board has some really talented and experienced quilters, so just by reading the board entries, I have learned a lot. Everybody is always ready to lend an encouraging hand, so to speak, so I am sure you will enjoy the many nice quilters who visit this board.

hussn32 02-10-2013 05:20 PM

I am a beginner quilter as well. I loved to quilt. I don't prewash my fabrics. Try to make pillowcases there r fun to make.

maxnme01 02-10-2013 05:27 PM

Ah ha! Gotcha.....welcome Your ride has just begun.

KathyPhillips 02-10-2013 08:56 PM

As others have said Shout Color Catchers are wonderful! I first heard about them on ths board. I don't prewash, especially pre-cuts.

colleenancel 02-10-2013 11:14 PM

I found this forum about 3 years and 40 quilts ago. I have always found interesting info, and lots of friendly advice. There are so many quilters who have talent and perseverance (to me, this is a great part of quilting!) and don't keep the good finds and good ideas secret. I never prewash. In fact, I tell the recipients of the flannel quilts I make, that I recommend dry cleaning, if at all possible. And sparingly. Most of my quilts are either going to adults or babies. (Those, of course, are totally washable.)Don't hesitate to ask questions. That's how you learn. And welcome!