Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginner Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginner-quilter-t298726.html)

ALJ72753 08-05-2018 02:25 PM

Beginner Quilter

I'm trying to cut my first quilt backing. I have used my cutting board, yardstick and my sewing measuring tape and I'm getting 3 different measurements. Which one is more accurate?

Thanks
Audrey

quiltedsunshine 08-05-2018 02:35 PM

That happened to me once, when I was measuring big yardage. I decided that the yardstick was most accurate. I think another factor in the situation is securing the fabric. I'll actually pin the fabric to the floor sometimes, just so I know it's not shifting while I measure.

PaperPrincess 08-05-2018 02:40 PM

Welcome! Fortunately, backing gives you wiggle room. Depending on how you are going to quilt it, the backing should be 2 to 4 inches longer on all sides possibly more if you are sending it out (so 4 to 8" longer & wider).
Your cutting mat is not the best for measurement as it can warp. A quality yardstick or tape measure should measure the same, however. I would go with your tape.

PamelaOry 08-05-2018 02:51 PM

Welcome to the board and congrats on your first project. When measuring and cutting backing in the past I’ve used my husbands tape measure, the stiff kind.

ALJ72753 08-05-2018 03:23 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I'm actually cutting it smaller than top because I'm adding a 6" strip that will wrap around for my edging and then I'll have 5 " of a different color around back edge. That's why I needed to be a little more accurate on this one. Leave it to me to make my first one a hard one. Hahahah

SusieQOH 08-05-2018 04:52 PM

Welcome to the board! You aren't the only one who makes things harder :D

Mitty 08-06-2018 06:50 AM

As PaperPrincess said, the yardstick and tape measure should both be accurate. I wonder if trying to measure fabric with a stiff yardstick is throwing it off? I find it easier to use measuring tape myself. For the heck of it you could measure the yard stick with the measuring tape and see if the lines all match up.

Depending on how the ends of the yardstick and tape are, sometimes it's helpful to start measuring from the 1" mark instead of the 0" mark. The end of the stick/tape might not be even. Just remember to subtract off that inch! My measuring tape has a little blank area before the 0 so I don't have to do that, but I've had others where I measured from the 1" because the 0" was right at the end (hope that makes sense).

Peckish 08-06-2018 12:01 PM

If you're holding the fabric up to the yardstick, it's possible you're pulling the fabric taut and are not getting an accurate measurement.

Jingle 08-06-2018 12:59 PM

Welcome to this board. I am real good at sometimes doing things the hard way.

farmquilter 08-07-2018 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ALJ72753 (Post 8106424)
Thank you for all the replies. I'm actually cutting it smaller than top because I'm adding a 6" strip that will wrap around for my edging and then I'll have 5 " of a different color around back edge. That's why I needed to be a little more accurate on this one. Leave it to me to make my first one a hard one. Hahahah

How about adding the extra 5" on one end and one side then measure to find the right amount to remove to add the other pieces. Make sure you allow for your joining seam allowances.