Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginning FMQ - from a beginner! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginning-fmq-beginner-t189467.html)

JanTx 05-20-2012 07:57 PM

I also use a Topstitch needle, but.. have had them break. I think it's when I move too fast and the needle ends up hitting the foot.

Practical items for practice- totally agree. I do table runners. Just don't like to fool with practice sandwiches - but totally get the idea of doing it that way.

Anyone try turning their machine where the needle is in front? Read that somewhere, but haven't tried it.

Love all the ideas!

Dandish 05-20-2012 10:27 PM

Great stuff here. Practice, practice, practice. Repetative drawing on paper does help with muscle memory. Don't sweat the small stuff - if it doesn't look so great the first block or two, keep going!! Once the whole quilt is done you'll be much happier, and the little individual "mistakes" won't be as noticeable at all. Spray basting is nice for all size quilts - no pins in the way to stop and remove when it's inconvenient. Stop to reposition hands at a corner or point rather than on a curve - jogs and wobbles and stops/starts are much more noticeable on curves. Don't let your hands move TOO far from the needle - work to maintain control of the section you are working on, it'll increase with experience. Following a marked line is difficult at first, slow down and adjust your hand speed - it'll get MUCH better the more you do it. As mentioned above - don't sweat it if you don't stay perfectly on the lines, either - once they are gone noone will know. Loops/meandering/free play is usually more satisfying to start with. Aways do some practice/warm on the same materials as the quilt you are beginning so you know how everything behaves before you get on the "good stuff."

indymta 05-21-2012 03:48 AM

Thanks for all this information. My goal this summer is to try FMQ and these ideas have all been very helpful.

callen 05-21-2012 03:49 AM

Wow, I have been quite intimidated to start FMQ & all this great advice is a huge boost to my confidence. Thank you all for the terrific ideas. I am going to print these pages out so I have it when I find the courage to try FMQ.

cherokeerose 05-21-2012 04:03 AM

Thanks for all the information, my goal beginning this week is to same practicing my FMQ at least 1 hour daily (hopefully 2 hours, but will do at least 1).

emlee51 05-21-2012 05:13 AM

Wow, some great advice here! I'm going to print it out, and read it again and again! This board is the greatest!

PolkaBabe 05-21-2012 06:32 AM

Wow! Many thanks for all the wonderful information on this. Thank you.

MimiBug123 05-21-2012 06:58 AM

I am a FMQ newbie, too. I have just finished my first FMQ baby quilt and was amazed at the time it took to do it as opposed to hand quilting. I am making baby quilts for our local battered women's shelter and can really turn them out this way. Still working on getting my stitches totally even, but it's getting there. Good luck and much happy practice!

irishrose 05-21-2012 08:06 AM

I'm only four or five quilts ahead of a total newbie, but I'd like to add a backpack with weights in it to help with the shoulder pain. I don't need it anymore - new muscles, maybe, but it was a big help at first.

I don't like to talk about anyone's advice, but no leather needle. It punches a permanent triangular hole in the fabric.

A yard of plastic draped over the bed of the machine (cut a hole for the needle) will help the quilt move easily and gloves are necessary for me.

Muscle to brain memory is important - hense the drawing with a marker on a white erase board or on a rough surface with the index finger of your dominant hand. I did that yesterday to imprint the flower I want on my brain so I don't have to mark my quilt.

My advice: Just do it. The first stitch is the hardest.

denveremerson 05-21-2012 08:25 AM

The timing of this thread is perfect. I've done lots of practicing, and felt I was ready to "go for it" on a baby quilt. I'm not real happy with my progress. I know I'm really critical of myself, but I think I don't like it so far. Thanks to ALL of you for your comments and tips. I may do some play time with a seam ripper on some of it, but I'll take your comments and forge ahead. Thanks for starting this thread!!