Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina 170QE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-170qe-t274495.html)

KLO 01-14-2016 08:42 AM

Bernina 170QE

Does anyone own a Bernina 170QE and if so could you tell me what you think of it? Pros and cons if you have any. Thanks! (Sorry about the original post where I had the wrong machine listed.)

ManiacQuilter2 01-14-2016 11:00 AM

I don't know about the newer Bernina line. I love both of my Bernina: 1020 and 1530. They have given me hardly any problems over the years.

Emmy Sue 01-14-2016 11:17 AM

I have a Bernina 170 with the embroidery unit and have not used it for months. It sews very well and I did use it for quilting ,but as far as embroidery on this machine, I had to buy cards and even on sale they were expensive. Truthfully, I had no problems with the sewing machine and it did sew beautifully but I do prefer my Bernina 1230.

lyndaj 01-14-2016 02:23 PM

I tried to find reviews on this machine, but didn't find any.

Hopefully, someone with direct experience with this machine can provide their opinion.

quiltedsunshine 01-14-2016 02:42 PM

Great machine, if you don't want it for embroidery. It's embroidery system is very out-dated. You either have to have the cards or have it hooked to a laptop computer.

cathyre 01-14-2016 03:31 PM

My 170 sews like a dream only ever had to have it in for regular service I love it .

KLO 01-14-2016 04:39 PM

Thanks for the personal reviews. The machine I am looking at does not have the embroidery unit so I guess that is a good thing. Don't need to pay for something I probably wouldn't or couldn't use anyway. Thanks again for responding.

KLO 01-15-2016 07:17 AM

Another question about this machine for those who have one: Do you quilt with it? It has the BSR and IDT, right? If you quilt with it, do you like the way it handles quilts? Do you sit down quilt with it on a table?

ManiacQuilter2 01-15-2016 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 7434544)
Another question about this machine for those who have one: Do you quilt with it? It has the BSR and IDT, right? If you quilt with it, do you like the way it handles quilts? Do you sit down quilt with it on a table?

I may be wrong but I think the BSR is optional.

QuiltMom2 01-16-2016 05:25 AM

I have this machine and love it!!!!! It doesn't have the BSR or IDT but I've done FMQ with feed dogs down and not messed up the timing, have a walking foot which has seen a lot of service for STID and straight line quilting, and yes the embroidery unit is very outdated but it still can be hooked to my home PC with a cable so it's functional. I recently had to have the entire tension unit replaced (the technician just laughed when he saw the total stitches on the machine) and it truly was a case of a part breaking after years of use. I have it back again and it will be humming along later today.