Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina 700 Series? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-700-series-t208964.html)

Valerie Ann 12-21-2012 01:15 PM

Bernina 700 Series?

Does anyone own the Bernina any of the new machines in the 700 series? Thinking of taking the plunge but wanted to consider board opinions.
Thanks!

AChristina 12-22-2012 06:06 AM

Okay, must not be many 7 series owners out there yet. I'm waiting on a 750 QE myself. It's a new series and is in high demand.

mpspeedy2 12-22-2012 07:13 AM

Wow! They look wonderful but the price tag blows my mind. Since I am not a machine quilter except for Linus quilts which are never more than twin size, the bigger harp is not a must have for me. The added decorative stitches would be nice. I own two stand alone embroidery machines so that is not a draw either. What I don't like about machines that do both sewing and embriodery in a hoop is that you can't do both at the same time. With my seperate machines I can sew while the embroidery machine is doing it's thing. No foot pedal needed. If you wanted it strickly to do machine quilting you could probably purchase a stand alone quilting machine for about the same amount of money. I see the 7 series as the "Swiss Army knife" of the sewing room. It has lots and lots of bells and whistles that you will probably rarely use, weighs a ton and costs a lot of money.
Just my two cents.

Tartan 12-22-2012 07:59 AM

I have looked at the new 700 and would love to have one. They have a super-sized bobbin but the feet are different from other machines. I love my 440 QE and would keep it as a back up machine if the feet were interchangeable but they are NOT. I have not heard any bad news about the 700 series so I guess that is good news?

sandy l 12-22-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 5734601)
I see the 7 series as the "Swiss Army knife" of the sewing room. It has lots and lots of bells and whistles that you will probably rarely use, weighs a ton and costs a lot of money.
Just my two cents.

I know this thread is about the Bernina, but that statement can allso relate to the Janome 7700, which is why I wound up getting rid of it. Just way to much machine for me.

LyndaOH 12-22-2012 10:41 AM

What is the pricing on the Bernina series?

Sandy - what did you replace your 7700 with? I have one too, and I love the FMQ on it. Have you found something with less bells and whistles with the same harp and great FMQ?

AChristina 12-22-2012 04:53 PM

I ordered mine without the embroidery attachment and I plan on using it on a 10' Bernina quilt frame my husband bought me for Christmas. I still have my Singer Quantum 9960 and a Brother CS6000i for backup and if the occasion arises that I need to sew while the Bernina is on the frame. Planning on using the 750 for more than just on the quilting frame because it does come with a higher price tag. Just like cars.

ube quilting 12-22-2012 05:07 PM

All I know is my more than 12 year old B 750 QE has never given me any problems. I mean none, nada, ziltch!
I have sewn many thousands of miles too! Research is the best way to gather the info you need for making the best choiice for your needs.
peace

sandy l 12-23-2012 03:58 AM

LyndaOH, I have a Pfaff 4.0, and since I don't do FMQ, it works for me.

sandyl 12-23-2012 04:07 AM

Guess I will be doing some research, I didn't know about the 700 series QE. I have the 440 QE and love, love it. I also have the embroidery module I have used it but not too often. I would keep the 440 if I were to get the 700.