Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina feet question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-feet-question-t309947.html)

Iolo 02-28-2020 02:22 PM

Bernina feet question

I’m looking to add to my collection of feet..... I was wondering if anyone has used the bernina walking foot with stitch in the ditch sole to do a blind hem ? Or should I get the blind stitch foot number 5 or should I get number 10D the edge stitch foot because it’s dual feed ???? I’m really confused 🤷🏼‍♂️

Christine- 02-28-2020 02:27 PM

Looks like a call to a dealer is in your future! :)

sewingpup 02-28-2020 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Iolo (Post 8365020)
I’m looking to add to my collection of feet..... I was wondering if anyone has used the bernina walking foot with stitch in the ditch sole to do a blind hem ? Or should I get the blind stitch foot number 5 or should I get number 10D the edge stitch foot because it’s dual feed ???? I’m really confused 🤷🏼‍♂️

What Bernina do you have? The 10D foot only fits the models with the dual feed so I am assuming you have one of the models that has that feature.....when you tell your machine which stitch you want to do......and then touch the foot icon on the left side of the touch screen, the preferred foot for that stitch will show up in the top left position....and as you scroll through the rest of the feet choices....that other feet that would also work have a yellow star on them....if you touch the little icon a little to the right at the top of the screen with the dots in it....you can toggle back and forth between all the feet and just the ones with the star....I think this feature is on the new 500 and 700 series of machines.....

QuiltE 02-28-2020 02:58 PM

First of all, I have had no need to do a blind stitch, so cannot advise you specifically on this.

... whenever I contemplate a new foot, I go to my dealer and let them demo it and then I give it a test drive. Is that "one" really "needed" to do what I want it to do? Or are there other feet that will give me multi-options for usage? Or why do I need that specific one? My purchase may not happen that day, as I often go home and give it a try with feet I have.

These feet are expensive, so if you can avoid purchasing one/any why buy? Often times, I have found I have something that does the job, without the need for a new one. Just because they tell us that "one" foot is specific to a function, does not mean that a different foot will not do the job.

Keep in mind that Bernina often have "foot" sales ... a better time to purchase!

When I can opt for a D foot, that is my choice.

Barb2018 02-28-2020 03:01 PM

Well I've never tried that, but it is an interesting question. Off the top of my head I don't see why it couldn't be done. Go up to the Bernina website and check out all the feet you have questions about. Most have videos. Blindstitch foot 5 is better suited to a blindstitch than foot 10 due to the way the blade is made.

quiltedsunshine 02-28-2020 06:46 PM

I don't know how I sewed without my walking foot! The Bernina walking foot comes with 3 soles -- standard foot, open toe foot and stitch-in-the-ditch foot. The SITD sole works really well! Pushes the seam open just right so the stitch is buried in the right spot. Plus it feeds the layers evenly, which the #10 foot can't do. They cost about $160 to $180, but they are worth every cent.

Iolo 02-29-2020 01:30 AM

Great advice thank you 😊

I have the new 570qe Tula Pink and my nearest dealer is 90 minutes away...... This is my first Bernina and I agree all the accessories are expensive and the options are endless!
I’ve watched the YouTube tutorials which is why I wondered about using a foot for more than one purpose, I’ll try the walking foot with the SITD sole and let you know how I get on.

thanks again

jmoore 02-29-2020 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 8365086)
I don't know how I sewed without my walking foot! The Bernina walking foot comes with 3 soles -- standard foot, open toe foot and stitch-in-the-ditch foot. The SITD sole works really well! Pushes the seam open just right so the stitch is buried in the right spot. Plus it feeds the layers evenly, which the #10 foot can't do. They cost about $160 to $180, but they are worth every cent.

I agree, I use my walking foot often and especially love the SITD sole. I would choose the walking foot over the 10D ... just my opinion. Good luck in your research.