Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina foot #37 - question about needle position (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-foot-37-question-about-needle-position-t212091.html)

Hockeyrabbit 01-26-2013 06:14 PM

Bernina foot #37 - question about needle position

Ok-

So as I am becoming more aware of 1/4inch seams, I was wondering if I should move the needle right next to the foot of the machine, or should I keep it centered? When centered, in my opinion, its a little large, and then when pushed to the right a little, it seems just like a scant quarter inch.

For those with this foot, how where is your needle positioned? JC

Wanabee Quiltin 01-26-2013 06:19 PM

I have a Bernina and I do use the #37 all the time. It is true that with the needle in the middle, the seam is a 1/4 inch and not the scant 1/4. I use to move the needle over so it was perfect, but I don't do it anymore. I just sew it over a little and it works out fine. Try sewing with it and see what works for you.

Tartan 01-26-2013 06:22 PM

My # 37 1/4 inch foot does an excellent job on the seams with the needle in the center position. You can always test your seam allowance and adjust your needle position if needed.

ghostrider 01-26-2013 06:28 PM

Get out a piece of quarter inch graph paper, put a grid line right at the edge of your foot and lower the needle until it's just above the paper. Now move the needle to the right until it's a hair to the right of the next gridline. You can test by lowering the needle into the paper. That needle position is your scant quarter inch seam.

I don't use a #37 foot. I use a #20 foot with the needle one click to the right for a perfect scant quarter inch seam with the bonus of the open toe, full visibility of where I'm going, and the fabric fully on top of both feed dogs.

franc36 01-26-2013 06:30 PM

With the needle in the center position and Aurifil thread, my seam comes out fine. I tried moving the needle over one space and the seam was too scant so I went back to the center position. I haven't tried the #37 with thicker thread.

BellaBoo 01-26-2013 06:30 PM

I use the 37 on my Bernina in the center because when I turn the machine on that is where the needle goes and I forget too many times to move it before sewing. I have to resew too many pieces so I just leave it in the center.

sewingsuz 01-26-2013 06:34 PM

I use the foot #37 and just leave it in the center. I check the seam the other day and it is good for 1/4 inch.

sewplease 01-26-2013 06:37 PM

I use the needle in the center but try to not have any fabric peeking out on the right side of the foot.

dunster 01-26-2013 06:38 PM

I usually put my needle one click to the right with the #37 foot. It depends on the thread and fabric, so test first.

Jackie Spencer 01-27-2013 05:46 AM

I use # 37 also and keep my needle in the center , unless a scant 1/4 is called for, then 1 click to the right.