Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina or Pfaff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-pfaff-t7413.html)

azdesertrat 05-24-2008 01:40 PM

i have the Pfaff 2056 and
i love it

nanabirdmo 05-24-2008 01:55 PM

hi kinkajou, i have a pfaff 2056. have had it for 4 yrs and i love it. it has more features than i probably need, but maybe someday i will learn all the things it can do. it is smarter than me, so sometimes i am somewhat intimidated. but it has made many many quilts for me and i am pleased.

ladymyste 05-24-2008 06:14 PM

Here's my 2 cents......I bought a 440QEE in October 07, well I tried it, loved the emrboidery part but absolutely HATE the BSR and determined that I am no good with free motion quilting.

So that being said, I went back to my local dealer where i purchased my 440 and they allowed me to trade it in with full purchase value and I purchased a 630E. I am much happier and even though I send my quilts out for quilting I still love my Bernina.

You really do need to test it out and make sure you really are going to use the features it comes with and get the best machine for your needs.

I know I'm happy now with my new machine.

Debbie

kinkajou 05-24-2008 07:51 PM

Thanks again for all the replies. I ended up buying the Pfaff 2048 and so far I am happy. I can go back to the dealer for lessons if I need to. Apparently there is a stitch regulator for free-motion for my Pfaff machine, so I may try that down the road.

The only thing I do not really like is the needle threader, I find that it gets in the way and makes creaky sounds when I am using some stitches.

I also bought the stitch-in-the-ditch foot and I love it!

CRH 05-25-2008 09:18 AM

Kinkajou: Congratulations on your new machine, I think you will like it. Maybe you can have your dealer check your needle threader- my Pfaff needle threader works better than my Bernina needle threader- no problems. I would suggest the 1/4 inch foot for piecing for your Pfaff--I have found it makes a real difference - my blocks are much more accurate since purchasing this foot. (I took Patrice's advice on this--she was RIGHT, as usual!! :D (I also like the stitch in the ditch foot!!)

ENJOY!!

kinkajou 05-25-2008 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by CRH
Kinkajou: Congratulations on your new machine, I think you will like it. Maybe you can have your dealer check your needle threader- my Pfaff needle threader works better than my Bernina needle threader- no problems. I would suggest the 1/4 inch foot for piecing for your Pfaff--I have found it makes a real difference - my blocks are much more accurate since purchasing this foot. (I took Patrice's advice on this--she was RIGHT, as usual!! :D (I also like the stitch in the ditch foot!!)

ENJOY!!

I did get the quilting foot but I am still having trouble with my 1/4" seams.
I am thinking that if they do not improve (I am thinking that I need to get used to the new foot) I will get the 1/4" foot with the guide.

I've been enjoying finishing a quilt that I had started before getting the machine. I am going to be sad when I have to go back to work tomorrow and have to leave it at home.

Grandma Lou 05-27-2008 06:42 PM

I purchased a Bernina 530-2 50 years ago. This is the only machine I have ever bought, although I have used others over the years. I have it cleaned and serviced every couple of years and have never had a problem with it. Love the Bernina.

kd124 05-27-2008 10:18 PM

I have a tipmatic Pfaff that must be around 25-30 years old. I love it. My sister also has an older Pfaff with a built in walking foot. When we went to get the quilting machine, we chose a Pfaff. I would agree though that it depends on what you want out of the machine.

cottagelover 06-03-2008 11:30 AM

I currently have a Janome which is a real workhorse. I had a Bernina for 35 years, never ever had a problem with it and when I took it in to be serviced after a bout 18 years, the guy said it was the first he had seen in years and years. It finally died, and couldn't replace the parts so since I wasn't sewing much, I bought the Janome, (400.00) which was a good Canadian Price at the time.
If I upgrade, and with christmas coming, I may ask Santa for a Bernina.
I just know it is warrantied for life, has great performance and is worth every penny that one would spend.
I just wish that the arms were longer on the machines. It would certainly make life easier. Are there any out there? I haven't seen one in the few shops I have visited.

cassiemae 06-03-2008 12:35 PM

[b] Hi:

I have owned a Pfaff for 4 years now and just love it I also bought the stitch in the ditch foot and I use that quite a bit.

Personally I would not have any of them but the PFAFF.

:lol: