Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina Serger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-serger-t14852.html)

Missi 12-30-2008 09:07 AM

Does anyone own one?

My mom and I looked at one last week and the Viking sergers. The Viking sergers looked a little complicated. We just want a simple easy to use serger. We have a White that Santa brought me when I was in third grade it is tired and gets sick often :cry: So we are taking that as a sign to buy a new one and I wondered what everyone here has and loves. THANKS!!!!!!!

sewjoyce 12-30-2008 11:30 AM

I have a Bernina Serger -- and love it. It's not the lowest or the highest priced one, but it works well for me. Bought it last summer :)

G-Maw Wilda 12-30-2008 12:01 PM

I have a Brother serger that I bought in 1995, it does a good job, but the lower thread wants to come out of its arm too often. I just work on it awhile and fix it and keep on serging.

Spudgm 12-30-2008 12:06 PM

I have a Viking Huskylock and like it. I would just be sure that you get one with differential feed and there are a lot of sergers out there now and I think if I were to buy another one I would shop around and not necessarily buy an expensive one like Viking or Bernina, just my $.02.

dreamer2009 12-30-2008 01:55 PM

I have a Bernina and I
LOVE it...

Missi 12-30-2008 02:10 PM

Dreamer and sewjoyce - what model numbers do you have? I think we looked at the 700.

I completely agree that the differential feed is a must!!

I see that Janome has a ton of them on their website - anyone have one of their sergers. I love my regular machine that is a Janome.

THANKS!!!!!

sewjoyce 12-30-2008 02:18 PM

Missi, my Bernina Serger is an 800DL.

dreamer2009 12-30-2008 02:26 PM

Missi,
Mine is older.
I bought 3 of them for
my business at the time.
Great machines.

Bernina Bernette 334DS

mpspeedy 12-30-2008 03:40 PM

Missi,

I am on my second Bernina serger. I purchased a cheap serger, some oriental brand when they first became popular. It was a piece of junk. I spent more time cussing at it than sewing. Then I purchased a Bernina. It was about the middle of their line. It had differental feed and a built in rolled hem. I used it for years. Just earlier this year I got the thread tangled up really bad and actually broke off one of the loopers. I took it to the shop for an estimate. I decided to trade it in on a newer model. Again not the top of the line but it does have functions that make the threading easier as well as differential feed and a built in rolled hem. It also has a needlethreader built in like most of the newer machines. I have one on my embroidery machine, also a Bernina, but I prefer to thread the needles myself. I got the Bernina 1150MDA for about $900 less the $150 they gave me for my trade in. They will repair it and sell it to someone else. I love the new one. I have always done piecing with my sergers.

pocoellie 12-30-2008 06:28 PM

I have an old Baby Lok. It's been used heavily since 1982, not so much in the last 4-5 years, since I began quilting. But it's only been serviced twice since '82, never had any problems with it. I'm sure you're thinking of a more modern one though.LOL