Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-sewing-machine-t35160.html)

fsmcm 01-26-2010 09:09 AM

Does anyone have a Bernina Artista 180? Are you happy with it? Any particular problems? I'm looking at a second hand one, with rolling case, excellent condition. They are asking $450 Cdn. Feedback?

Thanks much.

blahel 01-27-2010 01:08 AM

i have the bernina artista 180..i am very happy with mine quality wise but find as i also bought mine second hand i dont use my machine to its fullest so I think lessons would be a good idea.
I paid $1500 (australian dollars)for mine on the 11/08/2006.
The things I wish I had are a low bobbin warning and a bigger throat as when quilting it is hard to fight the quilt to turn it the way you need it to go. Also check if yours comes with a walking foot as I think mine cost me $150 later.
The things that i like the most about it are: needle/up down and ease of changing feet.
I dont use the needle threader as it seems to take longer to use that than to thread it by hand. I also havent used the knee lift..yet.
It depends on what you want the machine to do. i am pretty happy so far just using the basic stitches even though mine came with the embroidery modules which I havent even played with yet :oops: :oops: Good luck to you which ever way you decide to go. if you have further questions dont hesitate to ask. I dont know how much help I will be but will answer any questions honestly. Dont rush into buying it and if you think you will be doing more quilting then maybe seriously think about a machine with a bigger throat...i was thinking of the Janome 6600, so maybe have a look at that to see if you would be happy with the features that it has. Let us know what you end up doing.

Quilter7x 04-27-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by fsmcm
Does anyone have a Bernina Artista 180? Are you happy with it? Any particular problems? I'm looking at a second hand one, with rolling case, excellent condition. They are asking $450 Cdn. Feedback?

Thanks much.

Did you end up getting this machine?

fsmcm 04-27-2010 06:34 PM

Nope. It was sold from under me.

stitchhappy 04-28-2010 08:59 AM

Oh no. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Bernina. I got mine second hand and have had it for 14 years. I dearly love it. My next one, when it's time, will be another Bernina. Hopefully, the 830; when my ship comes in. Stitchhappy

Quilter7x 04-28-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by stitchhappy

Oh no. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Bernina. I got mine second hand and have had it for 14 years. I dearly love it. My next one, when it's time, will be another Bernina. Hopefully, the 830; when my ship comes in. Stitchhappy

:lol: :lol: your ship and everyone elses!

I'm sorry you didn't get that machine, I actually got a second hand Bernina 180E this past weekend. I have only done a little stippling on it so far (this thing called a job is in the way of my quilting time!).

I see Bernina machines all the time on eBay, although the shop I just got mine from says that places like eBay are putting sewing shops out of business, which is really sad. EBay will help you figure out what a fair price is before you buy one.

Please let us know what you end up getting. I already feel I'm going to love my new/used machine!

pieces 04-28-2010 12:22 PM

I have a 180E, my husband bought it new for me for Xmas in 1999. I love it. I have it set up for machine Embroidery only know. And have another Bernina to piece with. But I did piece with it for a long time. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Very reliable. Love the needle up/down, the knee lift, and I can rewind bobbins without unthreading the nedle. While embroidering I love the needle threader since you may change threads 20-30 times on one design. I am totally satisfied with mine and have no plans to replace it. And would suggest this machine to anyone interested in purchasing a used Bernina.