Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina Sewing machine timing & troubles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-sewing-machine-timing-troubles-t100568.html)

blisterful 02-17-2011 09:55 AM

I had to have my timing set on my Bernina three weeks ago. Yesterday timing went out again and back to dealer I went! Dealer/serviceman just called me and said it was "consumer error" and I must have done something wrong . (I was doing a simple zigzag stitch and didn't break a needle).

I explained to him that the thread/fabric did get caught down in needle hole and perhaps that was what instigated the problem. (After I removed the bunched up thread, I was able to continue sewing, everything seems fine. It seems to me that I could have pulled machine out of alignment when I pulled out wad of thread and but he didn't think that would have put machine out of time......hmmmm). Yet, I wonder if Bernina is a real sensitive machine that I will need to baby.

My question is: Has anyone had trouble with Bernina's durability or reliability? I have had several sewing machines in the past many years and never had problems outside the normal issues, tention, etc. Having "out of timing" issues twice in one month is not normal.

Any help will be appreciated. I am quite embarrassed thinking I might be abusing my machine.

pieces 02-17-2011 10:09 AM

I've had Berninas for about 20 years and never had this problem
I am careful when sewing so I don't do damage to my machines and have extra repair bills. I don't sew over pins and use good quality thread. Love your Bernina and she will love you back. LOL

Rachel 02-17-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I am careful when sewing so I don't do damage to my machines and have extra repair bills. I don't sew over pins and use good quality thread. Love your Bernina and she will love you back. LOL

Agreed! I've had my Bernina 1130 for 20 plus years and haven't had any issues with it. I also have a newer one (730) that I love. No problems with it either.

paintmejudy 02-17-2011 10:14 AM

Ditto from me - but I've only had my less than 2 years but love it more than any machine ever.

Originally Posted by pieces

Candace 02-17-2011 10:18 AM

It would be helpful to know what model you have. Bernettes are notorious for trouble. But they're made FOR Bernina, not by Bernina.

Prism99 02-17-2011 11:10 AM

Is it a Bernina or a Bernette? Agree that Bernette is much more likely to have that problem. Have had my Bernina 1230 for many years (15?) and never had a problem with it.

Tink's Mom 02-17-2011 11:12 AM

I've sewn on my Bernina's for 20+ years and never had those kind of issues...
I did manage to burn out the motor on one of them. This was back when I was working on it 10 hrs a day...every day.

Jim's Gem 02-17-2011 11:42 AM

I'v had mine about 5 years and have not had any trouble with it!

suezquilts 02-17-2011 11:49 AM

I'm on my 2 Bernina. She is 7 years old, I have had troubles with this one, it is the quilter's edition.
I had something go wrong with the back up button, which I seldom use. it went into the housing and got stuck. Which when I did use it, would push it further back. Then it shorted out the circuit board, which I had replace around a year ago, and was told I was " hard on machines".
I ended up taking it to a Non authorized repair man, because i was having problems with it again.
He said something interesting, " you either dropped your machine on the floor, or when someone took it apart they tightened the screw so much they broke where your screw and the housing came together.
that is a lot of money later.

I just purchased a Viking and had my Bernina fixed again. So I have well over $2000 into a machine that still has loose housing unless I replace the complet out side cover..
My light fixture hangs down, but my back up button now works.

I should have dropped it, i wouldn't continue to pour money into it.
sue

running1 02-17-2011 12:09 PM

I'm sewing with no problems at all on the original Bernina 830 record that was my college graduation gift from my parents in 1975. I have it cleaned (fairly) regularly and it is wonderful. It sat, unused, for about 10 years (while busy with kids, teaching, etc.). Had it cleaned and replaced some soft rubber part that had hardened... purrs right along..... love, love, love my Bernina.

Just last week, it wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread. I called my usual dealer in OKC, but they were closed due to ice and snow. So I googled Bernina, called the first number and a really nice dealer in Utah helped me solve my minor problem (which was user error) sheepish grin... ended up sewing all day!!