Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina Sewing Machine? Yes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-sewing-machine-yes-t212405.html)

mimmy96 01-29-2013 04:32 PM

Bernina Sewing Machine? Yes?

I have always just had a cheap walmart sewing machine... well it is on it's last leg and I am needing a new one. Went to my local Quilt shop just to look around and she was showing me the Bernina 215... I watched her sew on it and wow, I was amazed! Question.. is it really worth all that money??? and does anyone have this model and what do you think? Thanks everyone in advance!

IrishNY 01-29-2013 04:39 PM

I don't have that model but I have two Berninas and I can without hesitation tell you that they are a joy to sew on. I got my first one about 17 years ago and it has never given me a minutes trouble. I still have it and it works great but I wanted the BSR and bought a 440QE a few years ago. They are very high quality machines that always perform well. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you but you will be buying a machine that will last for many years and make sewing a pleasure.

Jackie Spencer 01-29-2013 04:40 PM

I do not have that particular model but I do have a Bernina. I have seed all my life and never had a nice machine. A year before I knew I was going to retire, I bought mine. I love it!! Best purchase I ever made!

QuiltMom2 01-29-2013 04:44 PM

Berninas are expensive, but many owners LOVE them. I got one second hand and while I love the machine, I'm disappointed in the service/support by shops that sell them (and I'm really lucky to have two stores within reasonable driving distance.) If I had it to do over again, I think I'd invest in something else. Sad, but true!!

dakotamaid 01-29-2013 04:46 PM

Janome's have always been great machines also. I have a Bernina and a Janome and love them both.:)

patchsamkim 01-29-2013 04:56 PM

I have had my Bernina 1230 for over 20 years and would never give it up. I would love to get a newer one, but at this time, it isn't in my budget, so I just keep sewing on the one I have.

mimmy96 01-29-2013 04:56 PM

I am def open to suggestions.. I don't want to spend a killing, but yet I want a machine that sews good! I just need a basic sewing machine.

Tartan 01-29-2013 04:59 PM

I own 2 Berninas, an Activa and 440 QE. I saved up for both of them because they are pricey. An important consideration is your dealer, will you have good support, warranty/service and lessons on your new machine?There are many excellent brands out there and you will need to try some out. Go with a couple of fabric swatches and a list of must have features. I wanted a good buttonhole stitch for appliqué, needle up/down for satin stitch, adjustable foot pressure and the BSR for Fmqing. What are your must haves?

Skyangel 01-29-2013 05:01 PM

I also have the Bernina 440QE and a vintage Bernina 910. I absolutely love them. After 25 years struggling with the tension on a 1978 Kenmore, it is SEW nice! I love the many vintage machines I have now but sewing on the Bernina is a joy! (Although now, I can adjust the tension on that Kenmore and it works much better).

I got them all used. The 440 was one year old and the seller worked at the store and got every new model that came out so she could teach it. I got a great deal with all the extras she included. My dealer has a package deal to be "adopted" by her dealership. $250 gets servicing and all the mastery classes you want to take for a year. She'd still like me to buy a machine from her but it worked for me. Then I bought a Bernina serger that was 18 months old and used once in a class, and did the adoption package again. The lessons and a good dealer matter!

Wanabee Quiltin 01-29-2013 05:11 PM

I love my Bernina, which I've had for 7 years. It is a sensitive sewing machine, at least mine is. I have to clean it every 6 bobbins which have to be made by Bernina. I can't use any cheap thread as well as any Coats and Clark. Other than those few issues, which have not been an issue now that I know it, I love my machine. My LQS wanted to sell me the machine for $2800 used and I bought the same machine off ebay for $1400. Never have regretted it.