Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina - skipped Serpentine stitches with flannelette backed quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-skipped-serpentine-stitches-flannelette-backed-quilt-t259203.html)

OhCanada 01-04-2015 06:26 PM

Bernina - skipped Serpentine stitches with flannelette backed quilt

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using stitch #4 (serpentine) to quilt a baby quilt which has a flannelette backing. My Bernina is occasionally skipping a stitch - always in the same position on the outermost left hand curve. I'm using 40 wt thread, same thread in bobbin, a brand new Schmetz quilting needle, size 90/14. Speed is not a factor, it happens when my speed is fast or slow. I'm using the walking foot. I have tried varying the stitch length, that is also not a factor.
I just tried this stitch on a sandwich I made that wasn't backed in flannelette, keeping everything else the same (needle, thread) and the problem goes away.

Any suggestions to resolve this strange problem?

Tartan 01-04-2015 06:34 PM

If it only happens on the flannel then that is probably the problem. I am thinking the flannel is just a bit thicker and it is holding up the needle just long enough that the thread misses the stitch. You could try ironing before stitching to compress the sandwich a bit. Caution: if you are using polyester batt, a hot iron will melt it.

quiltedsunshine 01-04-2015 06:42 PM

Have you cleaned the bobbin area? When my Bernina skips, it usually goes away with a good cleaning under the needle plate and in the bobbin area.

QuiltE 01-04-2015 08:51 PM

Another possibility .... switch up the kind of needle, to a sharper type ... perhaps an Embroidery or Topstitch needle.

QultingaddictUK 01-05-2015 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7034373)
Another possibility .... switch up the kind of needle, to a sharper type ... perhaps an Embroidery or Topstitch needle.

I started using topstitch needles all the time, on all of my machines and have stopped having any little problems, highly recommend them.

OhCanada 01-05-2015 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7034373)

Thanks QuiltE - changing to a topstitch needle resolved the problem!

QuiltE 01-05-2015 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by OhCanada (Post 7035121)
Thanks QuiltE - changing to a topstitch needle resolved the problem!

And Thanks to You too, Oh Canada!
I pretty much always use one or the other now when quilting, thanks to the suggestion at my sewing machine store.

Enjoy that Panamian warmth ...while we are into a deep freeze, here in the Northland.
Are you a Snowbird and come home in the Spring? Or permanent in Panama?

OhCanada 01-05-2015 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7035170)
And Thanks to You too, Oh Canada!
I pretty much always use one or the other now when quilting, thanks to the suggestion at my sewing machine store.

Enjoy that Panamian warmth ...while we are into a deep freeze, here in the Northland.
Are you a Snowbird and come home in the Spring? Or permanent in Panama?

We're here full time for my husband's work, until we move again...

QuiltE 01-06-2015 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by OhCanada (Post 7035700)
We're here full time for my husband's work, until we move again...

Lucky you ..... especially at this time of the year! :)