Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina straight stitch needle plate? Chewed up stitches, yuck! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-straight-stitch-needle-plate-chewed-up-stitches-yuck-t219755.html)

Patti25314 04-22-2013 05:01 PM

If your 350PE is from the new 300 series line, then yes there is a straight stitch plate. If you have an older 350, I would have to do some research for you. Let me know.

Karenowc 04-22-2013 05:12 PM

I had a 180e and I purchased a single hole plate for it. I'm not familiar with your machine, but if it does wide stitches (I think 16mm) then the hole is larger and easy for the fabric to get sucked in.

franc36 04-22-2013 06:04 PM

I have a straight stitch plate for my Bernina Artista 200. I bought it recently. If you get one, be sure to remove it before you do decorative stitches. I forgot to change my stitch plate once. Of course it broke the needle; but it also did over $200 damage to the machine.

littledentist 04-22-2013 06:08 PM

Hi Patti, I just bought it last year. If you know anything, please let me know! THank you!

irishrose 04-22-2013 06:27 PM

Some machines are just hungry. Eating starts is one of the reasons I say my Elna can't quilt. HSTs were especially bad. Not are zigzag machines are that bad. I hope you can find a SS plate.

mem 04-22-2013 06:43 PM

I had the same problem with a Janome this winter. I was already doing leaders and enders and holding onto the thread behind the needle to no avail. Straight stitch plate didn't help. Changing to a new needle didn't help. Almost drove me crazy...until someone asked me what size needle I was using. I'd thought the size I was using was the right one for piecing cotton, but apparently it wasn't. Changed to a different size and the machine stopped gobbling fabric. I do still use leaders/enders, though :). Good luck-I know just how you feel. Be sure to let us know what solves the problem for you.

Nammie to 7 04-22-2013 06:47 PM

I just bought a 350 and it didn't come with a straight stitch plate - will check with my dealer to see if I need to get one. Mem brings up an interesting point about the needle - never thought of that issue but I can see it could cause the problem.

nanacc 04-22-2013 06:59 PM

Both plates came with my Bernina(630E Artista). I am sure you could find one if you have a dealer near. Also have one for my Mother's older Bernina that I inherited...still going strong after all the constant use she put it through!

quilter2090 04-22-2013 07:08 PM

I have a straight stitch plate for my Bernina. Check with your dealer. I have found that the straight stitch plate does help when piecing.

jcrow 04-22-2013 07:24 PM

My Bernina came with a straight stitch plate and a wide stitch plate. I've dinked around on Google and found sites that sell all parts to all kinds of sewing machines. Just type in Google what you are looking for and i'm sure you'll find it. Be sure to say "for sale" in the Google search engine. Like Bernina straight stitch plate for sale. You'll find it!