Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best "How -to" book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-%22how-%22-book-t76741.html)

madamekelly 11-17-2010 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
My sister asked asked for a comprehensive "how-to" book to teach herself about quilting. In your opinion, which is the best one to give her?

Thanks for your opinion, which, I know, will be both expert and helpful!

Barbara

www.quiltingboard.com would be the best help you could give her. She can find any quilty answer here!

Judie 11-18-2010 08:16 AM

I also love Quilter's Complete Guide by Fon & Porter...

It's quick to look something up in and they show/explain anything in clear, concise ways. I love the book, it's the first one I check.

RDM 11-18-2010 08:24 AM

My instructional favorites are Fons and Porters "Quilters Complete Guide" and "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts" by McClune and Nownes. I reference these two books often.

roserips 11-18-2010 08:55 PM

I teach all kinds of quilting and for a beginner hands down I think Elanor Burns Quilt In a Day Series is the best. You can start with simple strip quilting and grow from there. The others all have good information but may get confusing or over whelming with two much stuff.

cjmat 11-20-2010 12:17 PM

My favourite is Rotary Magic by Johnson-Srebro. I have a few others but this is the one I still go back to the most.

judi wess 11-24-2010 04:26 AM

I have most of the Georgia Bonesteel books and treasure them, she taught me to quilt on public tv. The best source I've found and spiral bound too is the Fons and Porter Complete guide. I still refer to it for sewing binding ends together, easy and makes sense.

kellen46 11-26-2010 11:32 AM

[quote=judi wess]I have most of the Georgia Bonesteel books and treasure them, she taught me to quilt on public tv.

I am a big Georgia Bonesteel fan as well....I still use her first lapquilting book to no end. I have made lots of types of quilts from crazy to arty farty, I find though, that now I am drawn back to the old traditional pieced geometric blocks and find a great deal of pleasure in piecing them. I guess now that I sort of know what I am doing I can really hone in on the pleasure of putting those little bits together. I am planning on using the Lap quilting book to do an old fashioned sampler real soon. It will be my gift to myself over christmas as soon as I get my boxes mailed off. My kids live too far away to spend any holidays together so Christmas day is "sew what you please" day...well to be honest, now that I am retired that is pretty much every day...lucky me!

judi wess 11-26-2010 11:47 AM

kellen46, had the pleasure of meeting Ms.Bonesteel, a lovely and very interesting person. I still rely on the lapquilting method for most of my large pieces, just can't manuever those bedsize quilts under my domestic machine.
I love learning new techniques so I use other quilt maven's books.