Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-%22work-horse-no-frills-sewing-machine%22-t152308.html)

4js 09-12-2011 01:22 PM

I can't even remember why the one is in there but the second one - the feed dogs just won't move the fabric. I was sewing along and they just stop pushing it forward. It is the second time I will be taking it back for this problem. I do oil and clean them out often. Thanks, 4js Any suggestions??

Jennifer22206 09-12-2011 01:31 PM

for me, my White. I've had it since I was 13 or so, and I'm 28 now. I love the silly thing, and it'll do whatever I throw at it.

momto5 09-12-2011 03:54 PM

I have 11 machines altogether...but my favorite is my Bernina 1008...no needle down and not many fancy stitches, but she's one in a million. I also use my Singers a lot and am now using my Husqvarna Sapphire until I get my Bernina out of the shop!
Guess it's just what you want to pay for that determines what you get...

QuiltswithConvicts 09-12-2011 05:13 PM

Ali, I had originally thought that a thread cutter was unnecessary . . . UNTIL . . . I got my 6600P. Now I can't live without it! It really saves on thread as you only are left with 1/2" tails. No more groping for the scissors somewhere under your work! :-) The knee lifter - well after 5 years, I'm getting better at putting it to use! My first sewing machine after getting married was a Singer Golden Touch 'n Sew in a desk cabinet. It had a knee bar that pushed on the foot pedal wedged into a holder. Even now, some 40 years later, I keep wanting the knee lifter to make the machine run!!! It's wonderful for appliqueing as you can keep your hands on your work & use your knee to lift the presser foot when you need to pivot.

emmy 09-12-2011 06:02 PM

After a lot of research and trying various machines, I purchased the Babylock Quest Plus. It's being replaced by the Serenade, so prices should be lower. It has a built in walking foot (a must), speed control, needle up/down, all the feet (15?) work with the walking foot (PDQ), so there was no added expense. It came with a large table and I can switch from the foot pedal to the stop/start button without unplugging the pedal. It doesn't have the cutter, but the Serenade does. I have a cutter on another machine, so it wasn't on the top of my 'want' list. PM me if you want any more information.

4js 09-13-2011 02:52 AM

How heavy is it. I would like to find something lightweight also. I think I have to many "wants". Thanks for answering!! 4js

jitkaau 09-13-2011 02:58 AM

For just a straight stitcher, Brother Nouvelle 1500s as marketed in this country.I think Juki made them for Brother.It's a great machine with 9'' harp.

fabric_fancy 09-13-2011 03:14 AM

hands down Juki

- either the new 2010 models or the new Exceed models depending on how stripped down you want the machine to be.

barbt 09-13-2011 03:20 AM

I love my Bernina Artista 180.

Retiredandquilting 09-13-2011 03:23 AM

I love my TL98Q. This is my second one; first one lasted nine years, and I sew every day! What a work horse!