Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best additions to my small sewing room.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-additions-my-small-sewing-room-t222818.html)

Dina 06-02-2013 09:56 AM

best additions to my small sewing room....

I have been quilting this morning in my small sewing room (9 feet by ten feet), and I was appreciating the best two things in here, so I thought I would pass them on. The first is lighting over my ironing board, which I am lucky enough to be able to leave up. The light dangles down from the ceiling, so I can see everything I am ironing or working on. The second is the big board thing that I bought to fit over my ironing board. It makes my ironing board a rectangle, 20 inches by 60 inches. (I bought this at a quilt show. My husband immediately told me he could have made me one, but this way I already have it and he didn't need to make it. :) )

Since I don't have room for any kind of craft table or anything, these two additions give me a wonderful work space.

I just thought if anyone else out there had limited space, they might find my information helpful. Now that I think about it, the portable design wall I made is great too. Couldn't do without it....

Dina

Jan in VA 06-02-2013 10:10 AM

Though I have a bit more space than you do, I feel the same about my design wall and my big board ironing surface.....both allow for multi-tasking.:thumbup:

Jan in VA

DogHouseMom 06-02-2013 10:17 AM

My room is about the same size as yours.

I am also appreciative of a few things ...

A central and large cutting table. I can walk around all 4 sides of it to work on any area I choose. My cutting mat fits the whole table 36 x 73, and a light directly above it.

Two large windows along the whole west wall of the sewing room. Lots of natural light and fresh air.

I also love my big board ironing board, but right now it sits on top of my regular ironing board. I want a cabinet (dresser) with drawers so I can use the empty space under the board for storage. Mine isn't the 60" that your's is ... mine is 18" by 45" - large enough for WOF.

BellaBoo 06-02-2013 10:23 AM

My husband immediately told me he could have made me one, but this way I already have it and he didn't need to make it.

:) )
This is how I think too. DH can make most anything from wood or metal but it's faster and easier just to order it ready made. The dollars saved by him making it doesn't count his labor and time and I know he had rather be doing something he likes to do. It is like him asking me to replace a zipper in a jacket, I could do it but I would rather not.

bearisgray 06-02-2013 12:14 PM

I love my 'big board' top for my ironing board, too.

franc36 06-02-2013 02:37 PM

My sewing room is really small. In my last house, I had a wonderful sewing room three times the size of my current one. I am having trouble adjusting to this small space. I would love to have a large ironing area; but there just isn't room. One advantage of my tiny room is that it has excellent natural light. The two things I like best are my Koala sewing machine cabinet and the Koala cutting table. They are about 20 years old; but they look great and are so useful. Oh, one other favorite item---a step stool with a seat. It is the perfect height for me to sit at the cutting table and at the ironing board.

omacookie 06-02-2013 02:42 PM

I use my large board for ironing and also as a design wall. It can also be moved to my bed that is almost waist high. When I want a large area c so I can machine quilt I go to REDSTICK QUILT SHOP here in Baton Rouge, La. Hugs

decky 06-02-2013 02:45 PM

I asked my husband to make me a big board for my ironing board about 3 years ago and I'm still waiting!!!

Pat in MN

quilttiger 06-02-2013 04:29 PM

Besides the big board which my husband and I made together almost ten years ago, the next favorite thing is the long dresser I bought at Salvation Army. This I cleaned up and replaced the hardware, etc. I painted the back of it to match the walls, and I hang rulers of all kinds on the back. The center section has three pull out drawers behind doors.....just perfect for thread cones, etc. The remaining drawers store items such as ironing supplies, parchment, freezer paper, iron cleaners, needles, and pre-wound bobbins. The big board fits nicely on the top of the dresser.

Connie H. 06-02-2013 05:32 PM

Would love to have a large piece of board on top of my ironing board. How do you attach them together?