Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best applique technique for a word quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-applique-technique-word-quilt-t281208.html)

profannie 08-10-2016 02:36 AM

Best applique technique for a word quilt

I got a very special request to make a quilt with some words on it. I have never done anything like that and the time frame is a bit tight, so I would like to ask some advice by the wonderful members of this forum.
1) I made the letter template with EQ7 and I intend to applique the piece and make a ziz zag finish. The quilt will be used as a wall hanging but it may end up it life as a blanket :-) What interfacing should I use? I know heat n bond but it may be too stiff? Other suggestions?
2) Should I apply the interfacing on the whole surface or cut it to leave just a border?
3) Any recommandations regarding the quilting? I was thinking about echoing the letters and make an allover motif for the rest of the area.
Thanks!

Annie

Bree123 08-10-2016 02:53 AM

1. Heat n Bond is stiff. Normally, if you plan to use 100% quilting cotton, I'd suggest Mistyfuse, but since you're only doing a zig-zag stitch, having a stronger bond between the fabrics would be more desirable. What fusible is used doesn't matter much for a wall quilt & to wash applique that has a raw edge & is only held on with a standard length zigzag requires a heavier fusible.
2. I wouldn't leave just a border if you plan to wash it a lot & use a zigzag (unless "zigzag" is code for stitching it close together multiple times around, creating a faux satin stitch -- in which case I would definitely window, leaving 1/2" around inner edge & would at least switch to Pellon 805)
3. Echo quilting usually looks nice & it will draw more attention to the words. It would be easier to make recommendations if we could see the fabrics & layout.

profannie 08-10-2016 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Bree123. Here's the pattern. It will be a small quilt (37 X 47 inches). The planned use is a wall hanging, but I think it`s best not to make a raw edge applique in case the recipient decide later to use it later as a security blanket. I don't have a lots of experience doing applique and I plan to make some practice round on scraps. I was thinking of a small zigzag finish because it would be easier, but I have an old Bernina 830 that makes a lovely satin stitch. I could do that if it's best.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555694[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 08-10-2016 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I buy Heat n Bond light. I had no problem with making this wall quilt. I did use a buttonhole stitch to keep the letters attached and quilted around the letters so that they popped up.

profannie 08-10-2016 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7623661)
I buy Heat n Bond light. I had no problem with making this wall quilt. I did use a buttonhole stitch to keep the letters attached and quilted around the letters so that they popped up.

Beautiful work! I love it! Thanks for showing what it looks with HB lite (doesn't look stiff).

thimblebug6000 08-10-2016 06:45 AM

I also use Heat and Bond lite but I usually only leave a ¼ " frame inside the shape and my preferred finish is the satin stitch. I put a piece of paper under my fabric to act as a stabilizer so that the stitching doesn't pull up, it tears away very easily.

feline fanatic 08-10-2016 07:35 AM

Don't forget to reverse your letters so they are mirror image before tracing it to your fusible. I also prefer a blanket stitch (aka buttonhole stitch) when doing fusible. But that is simply a preference because I don't personally like the heavy look of satin stitch around applique. I've done it but I prefer blanket stitch.

Tartan 08-10-2016 07:41 AM

Someone posted last week? about a company that has upper and lower case alphabet letters already printed (in reverse) on fusible sheets. You might want to look for that post.

profannie 08-10-2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7623901)
Someone posted last week? about a company that has upper and lower case alphabet letters already printed (in reverse) on fusible sheets. You might want to look for that post.

Ohhhh, that's interesting. Thank you very much, I'll look for the post.

Krisb 08-10-2016 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by profannie (Post 7624047)
Ohhhh, that's interesting. Thank you very much, I'll look for the post.

This is it, if you haven't ready found it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t281077.html