Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best batting for "sound proofing" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-batting-sound-proofing-t307020.html)

Cagey 09-20-2019 03:57 PM

best batting for "sound proofing"

I've been asked to make a wall hanging (5 x 8) for someone that wants to dampen the noise in a room. I'm wondering which batting would be best. I thought about using polyester to make it lighter but thought maybe warm and natural may help with the sound absorption. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

quiltingshorttimer 09-20-2019 04:36 PM

certainly no expert, but seems to me that a cotton or cotton/poly would be the best sound proofer due to density of bat.

nativetexan 09-20-2019 04:40 PM

oh someone asked a similar question here, perhaps someone will pipe up!

Peckish 09-20-2019 05:04 PM

If you look at soundproofing materials, such as the egg carton foam they put in recording studios, and sound-absorbing panels they put in auditoriums and restaurants, you will see that they are very textured with lots of nooks and crannies. Based on this observation, I would use a lofty batting.

Honestly, if I were trying to dampen noise in a room, not only would I use wallhangings (multiple, if possible) I would also hang thick draperies such as velvet or velour, and even investigate adding something to the ceiling.

EasyPeezy 09-20-2019 05:24 PM

I don't think you can soundproof a room with a quilt. You need special
soundproofing material and it can't be quilted. You will wreck the whole
thing doing that.

nativetexan 09-20-2019 05:53 PM

in times past, they used to hang tapestries. but then, they couldn't go out and buy something. Good luck.

cashs_mom 09-20-2019 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 8304081)
I don't think you can soundproof a room with a quilt. You need special
soundproofing material and it can't be quilted. You will wreck the whole
thing doing that.

I have my doubts that a quilted wall hanging would do much in the way of soundproofing a room.

Peckish 09-20-2019 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 8304081)
I don't think you can soundproof a room with a quilt.

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8304122)
I have my doubts that a quilted wall hanging would do much in the way of soundproofing a room.

I know the title says "sound proofing", but in the OP's post she says "dampen the noise" which I believe you can do to an extent with fabrics. When we redid our family room (new paint, new furniture, the whole 9 yards) I noticed a bit of an echo. I hung curtains on the window and the French doors, a quilt on one wall, and draped another quilt on the couch. It helped quite a bit with the echo.

luvstoquilt 09-21-2019 03:33 AM

When my sons were teenagers we put cork on a wall in each of their rooms so they could pin posters,etc. it really absorbed a lot of noise and looked really nice. They are both grown now with children of their own. My older one is even a granddad. Time flies!

juliasb 09-21-2019 03:44 AM

To really sound proof or severely dampen sound you must use the heavy foam made for this purpose. For mild absorption of sound cork will do. A quilt may muffle mildly sound but it is not going to, by any means, soundproof a room. As an example cover your ears with a quilt and listen to the mild changes that is about all it is capable of doing. I use quilts to absorb trace sounds but that is the max you will receive.