Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Beginner electronic machine Low Budget (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-beginner-electronic-machine-low-budget-t201787.html)

tonvic 09-28-2012 08:03 PM

Best Beginner electronic machine Low Budget

OK, eyes are glazed over, but I am looking at electronic machines. Very low budget as I really don't sew much but would like something with decorative stitches, fairly large harp to do my own quilting, easy to thread, easy for a beginner to use, etc. What are some of the machines you like and why. Looking at a $200 budget so really low budget.

lynnie 09-28-2012 08:06 PM

Got a singer Quilter for about 299.00 it has fancy stitches self threader. Try walmart for sales or joanns online also

Holice 09-28-2012 08:18 PM

wanting large harp narrows down your selections considerably

Candace 09-28-2012 11:02 PM

Go to your nearest dealer and look at used machines. Stay away from big box stores. Used machines will give you more options.

Holice 09-29-2012 04:39 AM

big Box stores don't give service. And service is important

QuiltE 09-29-2012 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5548568)
wanting large harp narrows down your selections considerably

and I don;t think the large harps would come in the price range requested!!!

My suggestion would be to go to a reputable dealer who also provides service and give them your wish list!
Test drive the machines.
When you think you know what you want ... ask what the next step above would be?
And consider that seriously, as often times we underbuy and then later wish we had this or that ... and for a few dollars extra at the time, it might be worth the investment for long time enjoyment!

DogHouseMom 09-29-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5549001)
and I don;t think the large harps would come in the price range requested!!!

My suggestion would be to go to a reputable dealer who also provides service and give them your wish list!
Test drive the machines.
When you think you know what you want ... ask what the next step above would be?
And consider that seriously, as often times we underbuy and then later wish we had this or that ... and for a few dollars extra at the time, it might be worth the investment for long time enjoyment!

Ditto that ... don't forget to ask the dealer about used machines. Dealers that take in trade-in's will service and re-sell the machine, usually with a limited warranty. You can get a lot more machine for the money.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-29-2012 06:14 AM

I would go to a dealer and ask for used machines. The long harp will give you some problems for sure. But I know that the dealers sell good used machines. If it were me, I would buy a vintage machine. I am using a vintage Pfaff in my camper and absolutely love it. The vintage machines don't do the decorative stitches, but boy. do they sew good.

tonvic 09-29-2012 11:32 AM

Thank you for the replies. I already have a vintage machine. Actually 2, one about 35 Y/O and the other 40. Was thinking an electronic would give me the advantage of decorative stitches, and easier to sew. Not near any dealers so was thinking it would need to be an online purchase or big box. And yes, I realize you don't get champagne on a beer budget. Was hoping for more critiques on the lower end machines. Lynnie, tell me more about your Quilter please.

krysti 09-29-2012 01:09 PM

I have a Brother SQ 9050, I think right around $199 from Walmart.When I first started quilting, I couldn't afford much at all; plus I wanted to make sure I was going to actually use it before even considering moving up in machines. This little Brother is great! It is very user friendly, has drop in bobbin, Auto threader, side thread cutter, has somewhere around 100 stitches, including a couple of fonts. It has 3 speeds, drop feed dogs button, needle-down button. It also comes with quilting accessories, such as a small extension table, and the most popular quilting feet. The down side is it does have a rather small throat space. I did quilt my very first quilt on it, somewhere around lap sized. It was a little difficult to maneuver, but I was thinking maybe I needed some of those clips to roll it up tighter and it might not be so bad. In my opinion, the throat size is the ONLY downside--it's a great little machine with the features for the price.