Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best brand of rotary blades? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-brand-rotary-blades-t235932.html)

mhollifiel 12-02-2013 06:43 PM

Best brand of rotary blades?

I bought a Martelli rotary cutter and immediately noticed that the blade seems much sharper than my other blades right out of the package. I have been using it for about three months interchangeably with my old rotary cutters/blades. It still seems sharper to me.

Is it just me or are there better rotary blades than others? I have always just bought, used, dulled and changed up until this but I marvel at the enduring sharpness of the blade that came in the Martelli. And I don't think it's just the different style of rotary cutter. Anyone else come across a better rotary blade than usual?

DOTTYMO 12-02-2013 07:20 PM

I alwYs find a new blade is the sharpest. As to makes I find no differences.

Grace creates 12-02-2013 07:37 PM

Will the martinelli blade fit into a Gingler or Friskars rotary cutter.

ctrysass2012 12-02-2013 08:07 PM

The Martelli cutter is great! I have had 1 for at least a year & it is still sharper than my Fiskers with a new blade. It's a 45mm blade so I'm sure it will work in other cutters. When I bought it, I was told I could use the Fiskers blades if I wanted to. Am thinking I will buy some Martelli blades to have on hand, just in case. Maybe I could use them in the
Fiskers cutter even though I have 3-4 5 pk for that cutter.

hopetoquilt 12-03-2013 01:27 AM

I always use the yellow olfa. Never had a problem. They seem to last a long long time.

Scissor Queen 12-03-2013 04:37 AM

Martelli and Gingher blades are both sharper and last longer than other brands.

mhollifiel 12-03-2013 04:45 AM

Thanks ctrysass2012 for comfirming what I suspected!

I just looked up the blades and 2 cost 12.99 on Amazon which also states that the blade works in Olfa, Fiskars & Clover as well. I put them on my wish list. BUT I am seriously thinking of ordering the other Martelli (45) cutter. I don't think I will order extra blades for both since I am more and more convinced that the Martelli blades are much sharper and last longer. I do lots of cutting at once for Project Linus tops and the ergonomic design of the Martelli along with the sharpness really speed cutting along.
I do continue to use the old Olfa cutters. I have a small cutting mat to the left of my machine and when I need just one or two more pieces cut, I grab what's handy (Olfas) and go. The major cutting area is where the Martelli lives.

Jingle 12-03-2013 05:34 AM

If the martelli blades seem sharper than I would just buy them. My fiskar blades seem to last a pretty long time, some last longer than others.

mighty 12-03-2013 08:13 AM

I hade not noticed any difference in the blades I use. I am going to have to check the Martelli and Ginger blades thank you for the heads up Scissor Queen!!!!!

peaceandjoy 12-03-2013 09:04 AM

I love Martelli products, but they are pricey. Their mats are my absolute favorite. If you go to their website (www.martellinotions.com) and sign up for their redline direct sales, you will get monthly sales notices. This is different than signing up for their newsletter, it is at the bottom right of their home page.

Redline direct is a sale they have every month with up to 50% off of the specific item that is on sale that month. It might be blades, it might be mats, it might be templates, etc., but if you are considering buying from them, it's a great savings.