Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Best Compliment Ever (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-compliment-ever-t124735.html)

Born2Sew 05-21-2011 01:25 PM

Just wanted to post a little story. A former pastor of my mom's church recently became a widower. He also returned to my mom's church again, which was terrific because everyone liked and loved him so much. Well now, he started going to lunch with a widow lady whose husband passed from Alzheimer's about the same time frame as his wife died. As one might gather, they came to find out that they loved each other and decided to get married...... So, I decided to make them a quilt. (Sorry I was a dummy and didn't make a picture)... Assembling the quilt top was relatively easy, the quilting was not. In any event, I did finally get it done the week before the wedding was to take place.

I dubbed the quilt "Against the Odds" as it seemed I was never going to get it done, and it was also against the odds they the two of them would ever marry again.

Then, she had a bad accident and it had to be postponed.
She finally arrived back home from the hospital, and I took the quilt over to her.

Today was the wedding. When I walked into the sanctuary, I was totally amazed. They had taken my gift and had it laid over the altar!! I couldn't believe it!

I had used Michael Miller panels with angels, a dove and a cross on it. Some of you have probably seen them before.
I split the panels in the center and made the shape of a cross in the middle of the quilt, using embroidered blocks from Corinthians. The horizontal bar of the cross I used embroidered angels. I was not happy with the quilting, but no one there seemed to notice.

Just had to share...It meant so much to me, and have to admit it did look beautiful there. There is a stained glass cross in the front of the sanctuary. That's where my idea came from. Pretty neat...

craftybear 05-21-2011 01:27 PM

Wow, that is a nice of you to make the quilt for them, they will cherish it forever

I would love to see a photo of the quilt

babyfireo4 05-21-2011 01:28 PM

wow! Thanks for sharing.

mannem 05-21-2011 01:31 PM

ask around, someone must have taken a pic of the happy couple with the quilt in the background and then we can see it too?

Carron 05-21-2011 01:32 PM

Oh please post a picture if possible.

feline fanatic 05-21-2011 01:33 PM

Gifting a quilt that is given such a place of honor is indeed the best compliment ever! Congratulations to both you and the happy couple.

Sassylass 05-21-2011 01:34 PM

Wow, what a compliment.that was so nice of them to honour your quilt like that. I too, would like to see a photo please if you can.

QuiltE 05-21-2011 01:37 PM

What a lovely Love Story ... and with your quilt at the focal point.

Indeed, check to see if someone did get a picture. Chances are they had some taken with their official pics too. Plus, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have you come visit them, and a photo op with your quilt.

Summer Spice 05-21-2011 01:48 PM

This is truly a beautiful love story, How honored you must have felt. Thanks for sharing this.

MamaBear61 05-21-2011 01:49 PM

What a wonderful gift to the couple and you will never have any doubt that they truly appreciated your gift.