Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best fabric manufacturers for quilting ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-fabric-manufacturers-quilting-t95214.html)

libber 01-30-2011 09:13 AM

Being a newbie I need your suggestions please. Given what I have read here about Wal-Mart's lack of quality fabrics, etc. I would to hear what you consider the best quality fabric manufacturers. Also, is there such a thing as outstanding designers of quilting fabrics?

QultingaddictUK 01-30-2011 09:20 AM

I was in the same mind when I started quilting, I don't have a Walmart here in the UK, but I learned over the years by the touch and feel, lack of fraying etc; what fabrics I liked.

I now buy all my fabrics from http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ as they sell only top quality known quilting fabric manufacturers at amazing prices, so much so that even with postage is it cheaper for me here in the UK, where the prices at our LQS are shocking :shock:

Give it time you will learn your preferences.

Maia B 01-30-2011 09:20 AM

Gosh, where to start?! Moda, Hoffman, RJR, Marcus... So many. Very soon you will know by the feel.

ghostrider 01-30-2011 09:28 AM

That's kind of like asking for the name of the best chocolate company. You're going to get as many names as you get replies. ;) Try them all, you'll learn what you like...that goes for both fabric AND chocolate! :D

Sweetness 01-30-2011 09:29 AM

Whatever appeals to my senses is my only criteria (visually, perceptually, sensory). Just continue to fondle fabric at various places. It won't take long to learn your preferences. It's kind of like buying sheets ;)

Zebra2 01-30-2011 09:31 AM

Red Rooster, RJR, Henry Glass & Co., Moda, Baum, Blank, South Sea Imports, Fabric Freedom, Makover, AE Nathan, etc. there are a ton of them. Go to a distributer site such as Checkers, United Notions, E.E. Shenk. These are for wholesale buyers; they market to independent quilt shops. You can't order from them but you will be able to see the variety of manufacturers, designers, and current lines. Hope this helps!

Sweetness 01-30-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
That's kind of like asking for the name of the best chocolate company. You're going to get as many names as you get replies. ;) Try them all, you'll learn what you like...that goes for both fabric AND chocolate! :D

And your tastes will change as you change (age, pocketbook, season, whatever...lol)

libber 01-30-2011 11:30 AM

Thank you seven fellow quilters, wow you are quick on replying. I now have a list for my file of 13 manufacturers you recommended plus 4 distributors. Libber

pumpkinpatchquilter 01-30-2011 11:42 AM

I honestly don't think Walmart fabric is all that bad, but it's a personal taste thing and I agree with ghostrider up there that you'll discover best what you prefer to use by trying different brands out for yourself. The only fabric I really refuse to use is some of the buck a yard stuff at Walmart, and the $2-$3 stuff at Jo Ann Fabrics...but not all of it. Some of it frays horribly and is almost see through...and I have had some bad experiences with imperfections coming right off the bolt. I don't know if it makes a difference but I try to use similar quality together, but not always. If I'm using uber cheapo thin stuff I'll keep it with other uber cheapo thin stuff. LOL* Most of the time though I just stay away from that stuff altogether, it's not that pleasant in my opinion to sew with. But sometimes I just don't have money to purchase quilt shop fabric so don't be afraid to take advantage of good chain store sales. You can often get older collections of some of the bigger names in designer fabrics there too.

Divokittysmom 01-30-2011 11:53 AM

I have purchased fabrics from quilt shops that isn't all that great on occasion, so I agree.. go by the feel, look, texture, fray.. etc etc! If it feels cheap then I don't buy it, no matter where I am shopping or even the manufacturer. Just my humble 2 cents worth.