Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best hand quilting needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-hand-quilting-needles-t239367.html)

Minda 01-21-2014 05:35 PM

Best hand quilting needles

I've used many different brands of needles to hand quilt, but the Clover Black Gold needles I'm using right now break very easily. I would much rather have a needle bend than break. Please let me know what your favorite hand quilting needles are and why you like them. Thanks for your help.

bearisgray 01-21-2014 05:47 PM

I liked the john james needles size 11. They glide through the fabric easily and they are comparatively easy to thread.

francie yuhas 01-21-2014 05:50 PM

I like John James

Minda 01-21-2014 05:54 PM

Has anyone used Roxanne needles?

Hinterland 01-21-2014 06:20 PM

I like the John James 11, but I suggest you try as many different brands as you can. What works for me might not work for you.

I have tried the Roxanne's. Many quilters like them, but they seemed to slip for me.

Janet

stillclock 01-21-2014 06:38 PM

i love love love piecemakers. 10, 11, 12 - i love them all.

they bend bend bend and then eventually break. mine right when they are bent just so!

aileen

NJ Quilter 01-21-2014 06:41 PM

I love Roxanne needles! For me personally, not a John James fan. I use Roxanne #11's usually. Sometimes 10's and sometime 12's (but those eyes are a killer in more ways than one!) I generally use Guterman hand quilting thread and on the 10's & 11's have no issues threading the needles without a threader. For thicker thread/or the #12 needles you definitely need a Roxanne threader. The wire on other threaders is too thick to get through the eye of a #12 Roxanne.

I like them because they do not bend easily; thread easily; readily available at reasonable cost from Colonial Needle. Colonial Needle also has good customer service in my experience.

I hand quilt almost exclusively. Regular quilting cottons; batiks; flannel. Use W&N batting. Have no issues with the Roxanne needles on any of these materials.

I've tried JJ; Clover and a few others. Roxanne's for me.

nanna-up-north 01-21-2014 07:03 PM

I've tried a lot of different needles for hand quilting as well. And right now, I'm using the piecemakers needles. They are firm enough that they don't break easily or bend as much.

Jitterbug 01-21-2014 07:15 PM

Another John James user here. I use 12's or 11's. Lately I tend to stick to the 11's. I've preferred John James throughout my years of quilting although I have tried others. Rosanne's are too slippery for me,too.However, that could have been just me and the cotton material and batting on that particular quilt.I used Piecemakers 12 once on a quilt due to being out of John James. While I would use them again if need be, they did tend to bend too often.Since I have not quilted on batiks yet,(soon next quilt in fact) I can't say how I will do with any of these! LOL.It will be interesting since I am probably the only one in the world who hasn't made quilts with batiks.

hairquilt 01-22-2014 07:23 AM

I ONLY use Piecemakers size 10 & have used them until they are curved & dull before I throw away. They never break on me!!