Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best invention yet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-invention-yet-t239186.html)

feffertim 01-19-2014 09:59 AM

Best invention yet

Wow, I just got my slide lock ruler and I am super excited. This is a wonderful tool, and works so well, no more cutting issues for me. Love, love, love it. Best investment I have made in a long time. I have just started on an omigosh quilt, and the cutting is tedious, so this helps tremendously. Highly recommended. Everyone should have one Here is a youtube demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYOoRetnlfM

JustAbitCrazy 01-19-2014 10:36 AM

Agreed! I love mine!

LivelyLady 01-19-2014 11:01 AM

I'll have to get one! Also, it prevents cut fingers.

Pennyhal 01-19-2014 11:03 AM

In the tutorial, she's using just one layer of fabric. Does it work well with multiple layers of fabric? Or do the bottom layers shift.

luvTooQuilt 01-19-2014 11:15 AM

pretty cool... im still using the creative grids rulers.. so far all stays in place.. but that looks like it would help when your cutting multiple layers..

Eisy 01-19-2014 01:08 PM

I just got one too and used it for the first time this weekend. I was cutting four layers and it worked great. I got the 24" size. I only wish that it had inch lines on it so I was sure that everything was lined up properly when I cut. But otherwise, it's great and I highly recommend it.
Mary

ManiacQuilter2 01-19-2014 01:41 PM

OK, I bought a June Taylor Pro @ JAF for Xmas and I am very disappointed in it. I have to struggle to get my rotary cutter into the slots. I had come across this item in a post on QB and told my friend in Texas (also a member of the board) about the post. She bought both sizes immediately.

My questions are
Where did you buy it?
What size did you buy?
What color did you get?
How much pressure do you have to put on the ruler??
How difficult is it to change from looking at lines on a ruler to using the grid on the mat??

I just don't want to buy anything that won't work for me. I have lost over half of my motor coordination but I am still making just tops for charity. You have to have something to do when you become disable !! I have NEVER cut myself with a rotary cutter but now I am really concern with safety!! THANKS :)

Divokittysmom 01-19-2014 03:35 PM

wow!!! Thank you for posting this!! I have been mega frustrated with my rotary rulers!! I have watched the Quilter's Slidelock video and read through the testimonials and other tips etc. It sounds as if it has the potential to cut absolutely precise strips!! I have been looking @ the QuiltCut2 cutting system...it gets fabulous reviews but it is MEGA expensive.... at least in my opinion.. and it takes a great deal of space. I am very tempted to try the Quilter's SlideLock as it would save me alot of money! More $$ for fabric... I will continue to follow this thread and hopefully see more postings..

Divokittysmom 01-19-2014 03:41 PM

Does anyone own the 'Lighted Edge', or Non Glare Blue versions? Wondering if they are worth the extra $$..

feffertim 01-19-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom (Post 6522339)
wow!!! Thank you for posting this!! I have been mega frustrated with my rotary rulers!! I have watched the Quilter's Slidelock video and read through the testimonials and other tips etc. It sounds as if it has the potential to cut absolutely precise strips!! I have been looking @ the QuiltCut2 cutting system...it gets fabulous reviews but it is MEGA expensive.... at least in my opinion.. and it takes a great deal of space. I am very tempted to try the Quilter's SlideLock as it would save me alot of money! More $$ for fabric... I will continue to follow this thread and hopefully see more postings..

I have had a quilt cut 2 for a couple of years and rarely use it anymore, it does work really well but you are correct , it takes up a lot of space and I often don't want to bother to get it out and set it up as I don't have room to leave it out . This ruler really is worth the money and I can just leave it out on my cutting mat. It can cut really precise pieces and several layers at once. I really liked it for cutting half square triangles.