Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Best Laid Plans..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-laid-plans-t284296.html)

GingerK 12-10-2016 03:35 PM

I honestly do not have an opinion to give. I just wanted to tell you that you are making an absolute masterpiece!! I am amazed! After all is said and done, this is your work and you can complete it in any way you want. Oh I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

quiltingshorttimer 12-10-2016 05:30 PM

I've never liked the satin stitch--just me--seems to make it more stiff and harsher--so my vote is no--did you look at those Danny Amazonas pins on Pinterest? Amazing work.

Watson 12-10-2016 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7716196)
I've never liked the satin stitch--just me--seems to make it more stiff and harsher--so my vote is no--did you look at those Danny Amazonas pins on Pinterest? Amazing work.

I did look at his work and it's gorgeous, but I can't find any info on HOW he quilts it, except that he uses invisible thread.

Watson

cashs_mom 12-10-2016 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaSue (Post 7715384)
I wonder if Monet or Mozart were ever told their "technique" was wrong? Art is coloring outside the lines. Go with what pleases you.

I'd bet that someone told Picasso he was doing it wrong.

cashs_mom 12-10-2016 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7716264)
I did look at his work and it's gorgeous, but I can't find any info on HOW he quilts it, except that he uses invisible thread.

Watson

I just went and looked at your pics. I took a class from June Colburn many years ago that used a fabric collage technique. The way she did it was to take the pieces and fuse them down along the edges with steam a seam and then use invisible thread in a small zig zag to secure it. Its much more *blendy* than satin stitch but won't give a stained glass effect if that is what you are looking for.

Edit: If you google Danny Amazonas, there is a youtube interview with him. I didn't listen to it but it might give some insight into how he quilts his work.

Quilt30 12-10-2016 07:51 PM

Do what you intended. Don't let anyone influence you.

Watson 12-10-2016 08:00 PM

The problem is, I don't think I like what I intended, so now I don't know what to do.

Thanks, Cashs Mom, I'll try to find that interview.

Watson

Dina 12-10-2016 08:03 PM

I also have no advice, but your work is beautiful! How wise you are to have tried the sample before you started the satin stitch. At least you know what you don't want. It is going to be beautiful, no matter what you do.

Dina

SewCraftyGirl 12-10-2016 08:10 PM

I love the look of your quilt so far! I also like the softer look w/out the satin stitching. I would love to understand how you select the different fabrics for the different sections. It's amazing!

Prism99 12-10-2016 08:35 PM

The satin stitch is too harsh for my taste. Absolutely ***LOVE*** your project!!! Honestly, I think you are way better off going with tulle or organza overlays.