Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best muslin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-muslin-t140611.html)

wattse2000 07-27-2011 07:33 AM

What is your favorite muslin? I'm looking for something soft, durable, and inexpensive.

Mary M 07-27-2011 07:46 AM

Kona puts out a very nice muslin which can be bought at JoAnns and other places I have used other muslins also with pleasing results, such as Legacy. I love the softness of muslin. I used to use solid Kona but the price has raised so much that I looked for an alternative.

Originally Posted by wattse2000
What is your favorite muslin? I'm looking for something soft, durable, and inexpensive.

bluteddi 07-27-2011 07:48 AM

I bought some " premuim? muslin from my LQS.... wowzers!!! I never did get it to iron FLAT... it stiffened up like old leather... I think with time and washings it will soften, but the first couple of time around.... it was murder!!!! I steamed and sprinkled, a spritzed and steamed some more... never did get it wrinkle free... just got it good enough to cut GDtrs bloomers out... it is nice heavy muslin, and the weave tightened up nicely , but I"m glad dtr likes to iron!!!! wont buy it again...

snipforfun 07-27-2011 08:25 AM

I buy Moda Muslin by the bolt from Hancocks of Paducah. You get a quantity discount and right now til the 29th they have free shipping. Buying it this way avoids dye lot problems.

CoyoteQuilts 07-27-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mary M
Kona puts out a very nice muslin which can be bought at JoAnns and other places I have used other muslins also with pleasing results, such as Legacy. I love the softness of muslin. I used to use solid Kona but the price has raised so much that I looked for an alternative.

Last time I looked for Kona unbleached muslin at my local Jo-anns they had none..... They don't carry it now.

romanojg 07-27-2011 08:51 AM

I just made a complete quilt w/Southern Bell creamy mulin. The different sqaures were appliqued, manipulated to go into various shapes, had elastic thread sewen and shrunk, etc and it is such a pretty quilt. I love it. I had bought some from Walmarts on the bolt and was going to use it to back a lap quilt until I saw the difference in quality. Now it will be cut into blocks and used to practice free motion quilting on; then I'll do the quilt as you go method and make a quilt for the kids to play on; not wanting to waste anything

PaperPrincess 07-27-2011 11:30 AM

I read about Southern Bell muslin and got some at my LQS. It is very nice, but wow, the price was just about the same as regular quilting fabric.

romanojg 07-27-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I read about Southern Bell muslin and got some at my LQS. It is very nice, but wow, the price was just about the same as regular quilting fabric.

here most of the regular quilting fabric is around 10 a yard and the southern bell was 7; but it is great quality.

KarenR 07-27-2011 12:32 PM

Try a few of the online places. If you buy like 5 or more yards you get a discount. Love that!!!

I will be watching to see which muslin is the best. I've used Kona PFD.

whinnytoo 07-27-2011 12:53 PM

look for 'ecology cloth', its high end muslin and is awesome to work with