Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best night of sleep ever! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-night-sleep-ever-t145332.html)

kedougou 08-15-2011 07:54 AM

This is kinda a long story, so I will try and keep it to the point. I have been machine quilting for about a year and love it. I have always been afraid to try hand piecing. it seemed so hard and well.... slow. my adhd brain and slow work do not go together. But after a marathon weekend of machine quilting a scrappy quilt I was quickly approaching burn out land. Long story short.... I thought I would attempt a few cathedral window blocks ... by hand .
:shock:

drum roll please......
I loved it! It was so much fun and relaxing. It made my brain slow down and focus on one task. I was in the zone :D I was so blissed out that as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out like a light. no more tossing and turning waiting for my brain to turn off.
I'm in love!

Charleen DiSante 08-15-2011 07:58 AM

Good for you, that you tried the cathedral window blocks. They can be so gorgeous!

sueisallaboutquilts 08-15-2011 08:03 AM

That's great!!! Sometimes we need to slow it down and it sounds like you found a way!! :thumbup:

cannyquilter 08-15-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by kedougou
This is kinda a long story, so I will try and keep it to the point. I have been machine quilting for about a year and love it. I have always been afraid to try hand piecing. it seemed so hard and well.... slow. my adhd brain and slow work do not go together. But after a marathon weekend of machine quilting a scrappy quilt I was quickly approaching burn out land. Long story short.... I thought I would attempt a few cathedral window blocks ... by hand .
:shock:

drum roll please......
I loved it! It was so much fun and relaxing. It made my brain slow down and focus on one task. I was in the zone :D I was so blissed out that as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out like a light. no more tossing and turning waiting for my brain to turn off.
I'm in love!

I know what you mean. I am busy making a sampler quilt and although the blocks are machine pieced I am hand quilting it. I find the hand sewing so relaxing. i have made one or two hand pieced blocks but usually I am in a hurry and have a deadline.

So pleased you enjoyed hand sewing, try hand quilting next.

Canny

MaryAnnMc 08-15-2011 08:05 AM

Now that's what I call a happy ending!!

Grama Lehr 08-15-2011 08:09 AM

Yeah!! :thumbup: Cathedral Windows are so pretty, some day. .. I will attempt them!!

BUCKET LIST!! :thumbup:

kedougou 08-15-2011 08:17 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement. The cathedral windows are a black background. I'm going to put in red, orange, and yellow "glass" in a kinda sunset vibe. The dark reds in the center working my way out to pale yellows. I'll try to post some pics of my progress this afternoon.

blueangel 08-15-2011 09:22 AM

Good for you.

Stitchnripper 08-15-2011 09:24 AM

Good for you! Hand quilting is relaxing to me too.

caliquocat 08-15-2011 10:53 AM

So glad you find hand stitching to be relaxing. I agree 100%