Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-pattern-t252343.html)

Cathy77 08-23-2014 05:54 AM

Best Pattern?

I was thinking about writing a proper pattern for one of my own quilt designs. I was brainstorming what best to include in it and came up with quite a few ideas. But I'm not sure they'd be appreciated.

What would you like to find in a pattern? Special advice? Fabric requirements? Do you prefer actual pictures or diagrams? etc.

Boston1954 08-23-2014 05:57 AM

I have always been visual, so a picture would always be appreciated by me. Also, it is a good thing to say how much fabric is needed for different sizes.

AngelinaMaria 08-23-2014 06:06 AM

I always really appreciate pressing directions that nest seams.

DogHouseMom 08-23-2014 06:16 AM

I prefer diagrams to photos most of the time. The problem with photo's is that the lighting is not always the best to show exactly what you want to show.

DDuMouchel 08-23-2014 06:22 AM

I agree with the pressing directions so the seams will nest. I've bought patterns for that reason alone.

I also appreciate being told how big a particular unit is supposed to end up -- for example, your square in square unit should be X big. I may choose to use a different method to make that particular unit if I think my way is easier and that way I know what I should end up with.

Sisty88 08-23-2014 06:24 AM

On some patterns I prefer diagrams, but only if they are good enough at explaining the step. Sometimes I end up staring at them for ages because they just make no sense to me. Same with actual photos, if they aren't clear enough, then I don't find them helpful! Also, I think I would like it if each step has it's own picture, as sometimes it's just the tricky steps that have pictures and it would be easier to see the full process with a picture for each step.
Re: fabric requirements, I like to have a picture of how every piece of same fabric has been cut out of the requirements, as i'm sure everyone would do it slightly differently, and it would be very easy to get to the last piece and not have the right cut leftover because of the way the rest has been cut out. (hope that makes sense!)
I like a very clear layout for instructions because I have an illness that makes concentrating difficult, so having huge chunks of text is a no no for me.
That's about all I can think of for now, if I come up with anything else, I'll be back!
If you'd like feedback on your pattern once you've done it, I'd be happy to help :-)

PaperPrincess 08-23-2014 06:25 AM

Fabric requirements. Cutting instructions are nice vs. just a cutting list. I prefer diagrams/artwork to photos, but they need to be professionally drawn. I think the best thing you can do is give the pattern to several quilters of varying skill levels. Have them make the item without input from you and gather the comments/corrections.

tessagin 08-23-2014 06:30 AM

I hate instructions that say refer back to this step or that step. Too confusing. Or we'll get to that in a minute. If it's in an introductory to the instructions of the pattern, that's one thing. I did go to a class once and the instructor was constantly interrupted. People were trying to get her to jump ahead to this and that and finally, she said; We are taking this one step at a time because there are beginners in the class. After each step, she went over briefly and asked if there were any questions. She also brought the previous steps together as she went along. It was the best class. She had the instructions for the pattern on paper. She was local and good. That would be something you might think about when putting the pattern on paper.

Jeanne S 08-23-2014 07:58 AM

In addition to the previous comments I like to see some suggestions on quilting. Most just say "bind and quilt". I also like to see fabric suggestions in terms of light, dark, contrast, size of prints.

nativetexan 08-23-2014 08:15 AM

I really love patterns that give the measurements as one goes along. so trimming can be done. at least the inner pieces size if there are any. Block size is a given. Good luck.